NIE Eco (Green) Energy tariff - same price as normal one

Options
Hi
don't know if this piece of info has been posted before so...........apologies if it has.
NIE have an Eco Energy tariff, which means a proportion of your household electricity will come from wind farms. ( or renewable sources)

It costs the exact same as the normal tariff and you just ring customer services to switch over.
Tel. 08457 455 455

It feels good to be doing something for the environment, but I really think NIE should be pushing this more, or put everyone in certain areas on it.

I only happened to find this out thru a work colleague.
Let's help save the planet (a bit)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• arkonite_babe
    arkonite_babe Posts: 7,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We're on this tarriff already and it feels nice to know we are doing a bit (albeit small!!) for the environment. The bill even comes in a nice eco green letter, which I think is printed on recycled paper. :D
  • BigAl94
    BigAl94 Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    What?????? You don't actually think that the electricity coming down the cable to your house is any different to your neighbours who may not subscribe to this??? Sounds like a green welly idea gone daft.
  • edtheduck_2
    edtheduck_2 Posts: 256 Forumite
    Options
    well thats as may be and a wee bit cynical!! but psychologically, i feel good signing up, if NIE are 'deceiving' people so be it...
    whats wrong with green wellies anyway!!??!!
  • arkonite_babe
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    BigAl94 wrote:
    What?????? You don't actually think that the electricity coming down the cable to your house is any different to your neighbours who may not subscribe to this??? Sounds like a green welly idea gone daft.

It's the feel good factor though :P
  • ginger_nuts
    ginger_nuts Posts: 1,972 Forumite
    Options
    We're on this tarriff already and it feels nice to know we are doing a bit (albeit small!!) for the environment. The bill even comes in a nice eco green letter, which I think is printed on recycled paper. :D
    If NIE want to be eco friendly why do they still send paper bills .Surey an e-bill would be more eco friendly and off course cheaper .
  • tee_3
    tee_3 Posts: 100 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The reality of these tarifs is that NIE are committed to purchasing a higher percentage of their overall supply from renewable sources for each customer who signs up, therefore signing up will make a long term difference. Although, if that means more wind farms then its hard to work out which is the least worst evil!
  • edtheduck_2
    edtheduck_2 Posts: 256 Forumite
    Options
    ginger nuts i totally agree with u about the ebilling - that would be an excellent idea. as for the wind farms/ windmills, i think they look quite majestic in their own way, but yeah i suppose loads pf them could become an eyesore........
  • arkonite_babe
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well people can't have their cake and eat it, as the proposed wind farm off the North coast is a prime example. I for one am all for helping to reserve what natural resources we have left. Ok wind farms ain't pretty but they do a good job of inputting power to ther national grid, so what's the problem??

Either you want to be green or you don't :confused:
  • big_aid
    big_aid Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    you can be eco freindly without pumping money into nie.
    this green tarrif is a bluff to lead people into beliveing that they are doing their bit for the environment. NIE have to purchase so much of their power from renewables, no matter whether or not there are people signing up to it.
    invest some money in solar panels for your roof , which will give you all your hot water and in turn reduce your electricity bill, a grant is available for these panels.

reduce electric bills and be good to the environment.
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,200 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Big Aid makes a good point we are getting more and more frivolous with our usage of power. It would make a bigger impact if people would REDUCE what they use .. do they really need every light on in their house, turn appliances off when they are not in use, even down to the point of whether or not they really need to make that phone call (and some 90% of phone calls are not necessary).

We need to stop thinking about how do we make MORE with less pollution and start thinking about how do we REDUCE what we are consuming.

Ivan
    Past caring about first world problems.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family