We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
How to lock your wireless router ?
Cat72
Posts: 2,398 Forumite
in Techie Stuff
Hi
I have a netgear wirelss router that I use for gaming, laptop and computer. Trouble is the router is not locked -so anyone can get into my computer.
How do I go about locking it ? many thanks as a guy in my locaL computer shop is trying to charge me £50 to do this !
I have a netgear wirelss router that I use for gaming, laptop and computer. Trouble is the router is not locked -so anyone can get into my computer.
How do I go about locking it ? many thanks as a guy in my locaL computer shop is trying to charge me £50 to do this !
0
Comments
-
What you want to do is enable WEP protection, or create a network key, im not 100% sure as i dont have a netgear router.
But these options should be available on the configuration page of your router0 -
Hi
Have a look at this thread here, should explain everything to you
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=121274
Hope this helps0 -
There are instructions for the DG834G in this post, which should be similar even if you have a different model. Use WPA-PSK encryption - not WEP - because it's more secure.0
-
You really want WPA if you are using the wireless part for gaming.. WEP gives a performance hit and you can end up with lag.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards