What’s your biggest money vice?' poll discussion

edited 27 July 2009 at 11:22AM in Money Saving Polls
36 replies 4.3K views
Former_MSE_LawrenceFormer_MSE_Lawrence Former MSE
975 Posts
edited 27 July 2009 at 11:22AM in Money Saving Polls
Poll between 21-27 July 2009:

What’s your biggest money vice?
Which of the following do you have the greatest propensity to OVERspend on?

A.
Buying Music/Going to gigs[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]2% (192 votes)
B. Computer Games [FONT=&quot]- [/FONT]1% (124 votes)
C. Clothes/Shoes[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]15% (1338 votes)
D. Drink (alcohol)[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]13% (1182 votes)
E. DVDs and cinema - 1% (124 votes)[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]F. Eating Out/Gourmet Food[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]16% (1423 votes)
G. Gambling (including Bingo/Lottery)[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]2% (191 votes)
H. Gadgets/Technology - 6% (512 votes)
I. Illegal Drugs[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]2% (161 votes)
J. Hobbies[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]3% (249 votes)
K. Holidays[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]10% (884 votes)
L. Smoking[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]4% (398 votes)
M. Sports watching[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]1% (77 votes)
N. Sports participating[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]1% (72 votes)
O. Other[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]5% (422 votes)
P. Never overspend (I always budget)[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]13% (1122 votes)
Q. Never overspend (I have no money) - 5% (444 votes)

Total Votes: 8915

This vote has now ended, but you can still click 'post reply' to discuss below. Thanks :)

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Replies

• liz545liz545 Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    I voted J: holidays - it was very nearly F but I'm much more capable of not going out for dinner if I can't afford it. Even if I've budgeted very carefully for the cost of the stay, and my day to day costs, I almost always find myself getting a bit more cash out from the ATM when I'm on holiday. Holidays are an escape from the thrifty norm for me, so I don't want to miss the great meals in favour of a minibar picnic, or not bring back a souvenir. But I'm doing ok on the whole so I don't worry about it!
    2015 comp wins - £370.25
    Recent wins: gym class, baby stuff
    Thanks to everyone who posts freebies and comps! :j
  • Holidays for me too - everything else I buy I can afford, but I have to really cut back on other things to be able to afford my holidays and I admit to dipping into the overdraft sometimes to afford them.
    Weightloss: 14.5/65lb
  • O. and P.

I am very good at budgeting, and having to scrape by on JSA as I am, with 1/3 of it being taken away, the chance to overspend just isn't there as I have no credit cards/loans.
  • allean01allean01 Forumite
    13 Posts
    I voted P. But really needed an R. Never overspend (have no budget).

Mortgage paid off last year, good jobs - although other half about to be made redundant, hoping to draw his pension in two years time. So things may change !
  • I voted for Holiday but I do budget for them so I dont know how that works in the poll.
    I have not had a holiday put me into debt since I was 19, the trip is paid for before I go and the CC spend is cleared as soon as the bill comes in when I get back.
  • SimbacatSimbacat Forumite
    134 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Holidays for me too!!

I am very careful in all other respects, but my two weeks in the sun is my life saver. I have a very stressful job so a fortnight in the sun thinking only of 'which restaurant shall I eat in tonight' or 'which pool shall I sit by today' are essentials for me. (I go without new clothes, DVD's, shoes and just about everything else to be able to afford it!) :cool:
  • allsinginganddancingallsinginganddancing Forumite
    90 Posts
    Forumite
    Should of had food on there...its an everyday expence but its just going up all the time...vey difficult to budget for a family of 5 when regular items have increased so much.
    Fighting the overdraft -1- no chocolate day -1- YES!!
    Proud Member 31 of the "104 Previews in "2008" Club. 28 seen 76 left (gosh!)
    thrown away the scales, they depress me.....sigh
  • AkomAkom Forumite
    159 Posts
    Forumite
    Both me and my DW are thrifty so we can clear our debts and go on holidays. So my vice would be holidays.

After all lifes for living :D
  • Should of had food on there...its an everyday expence but its just going up all the time...vey difficult to budget for a family of 5 when regular items have increased so much.
    I agree, I put N - Other because food is my overspend. Occasionally my weekly shop is pleasantly low but usually it is miles over and I buy the same sort of stuff every week. Nice to know the supermarkets are making lots of profit though.
  • teddycoteddyco Forumite
    397 Posts
    We always seem to OVERspend on taxes.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

The 'Ask An Expert' event

Last week's energy Q&A with MSE experts

MSE Forum

Ninja Kitchen air fryer & grill £175

Normally £250. Excl Northern Ireland

MSE Deals