Work Bonus advise

Options
2»

Comments

• daily_2
    daily_2 Posts: 309 Forumite
    edited 20 July 2009 at 11:50PM
    Options
    That make believe security line always come up, it's an impossible nut to crack, even Martin's words don't do the trick. It's as a negative (£250 of extra debt), rather than a positive (£250 of savings).
  • Kitten_Pie
    Kitten_Pie Posts: 1,961 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I know, I;m sure i'll get there eventually just need a bit of time, lets see how i feel next month when i can see a noticeable change in the debt.
    Overdraft = £1000 Emergency fund = £2500
    Competition wins 2015 = £1400
    :ANathan Henry & Lincoln Marcus born 19th October 2011 :A
    :D Naomi Lily born 28th August 2012 :D Lachlan Georg born 4th October 2013 :D
    :D Rowena Hazel born 5th October 2015 :D
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    Kitten pie I think like you I'd be tempted to keep the £250 savings, whilst in theory it would be best to pay off a debt (interest cost wise) recently banks have been reducing overdrafts and credit card limits and I wouldn't want to be stuck without any type of emergency fund. Its not good thinking you will rely on an overdraft or credit card as an emergency if the day before (eg) your car breaks down, you get a letter to say you CC limit has been cut to £5 above the balance.

I'd use nearly all your bonus against whichever debt has the highest interest rate and maybe keep say the £70 (or whatever it is over £1000) for a treat.

Congrats on the bonus - hopefully you might get one next year as well!
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • GeorgeUK
    GeorgeUK Posts: 7,737 Forumite
    Options
    There are a few ways to look at tackling this.

If you are paying interest on all your cards though, i would suggest clearing the card with the lowest balance and trying to get a blanace transfer offer after you receive a nil statement. This could save you a fair bit in interest each month.
    After falling off the gambling wagon (twice): £33,600 (24,000+ 9,600) - Original CC Debt: £7,885.91

Dad Gift 6k ¦ Savings & Inv Tst: £2,500
    Loan 10k: £0 ¦ Dad 5.5k: £2,270 ¦ LTSB: £0 ¦ RBS: £0 ¦ Virgin £0 ¦ Egg £0

Total Owed: £2,270 (+6k) 11/08/2011
  • Kitten_Pie
    Options
    Hi all,

Thank you for your ideas and help. I have paid off my overdraft yay!! feel much better. I have still got the savings but am putting the money i generally put in savings into my credit card debt. Getting there v. slowly but its the only way.

Thanx again

Holly
  • TestCall
    TestCall Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    Congrats on paying off the overdraft!

As has been said above, remember that any debt you pay off means that you then have the remainder of the limit available, so you can pay for emergency bits through that. But make sure you're disciplined and don't use it unless absolutely 100% neccesary.
    Proud to be dealing with my debts. My Diary!
    CC Debt at LBM #2 06/10/09: £2209
    CC Debt as of 06/10/09: £2209
    CC Free by April 2010, hopefully sooner! Tackle £1750 O/D after that, then save to settle £6500ish car loan.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you have paid off your overdraft and gone into credit, apply for an Alliance and Leicester current account as they will match your overdraft at 0% for one year. You can also get £55 if you go via a cashback site AND use the A&L switching service (tick the box when you apply) for at least one direct debit.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Kitten_Pie
    Options
    Great Idea Firefox, unfortunately we have our mortgage with A&L and all our bills come out the A&L joint account.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport