Work Bonus advise

Options
I've just been told that i will be receiving a bonus from work of 8% my yearly salary yay! :j which works out at £1600 ish i'm hoping after tax this will be just over £1000. Currently my debts stand at:

Lloyds tsb: £1600
Mint: £800
Capitol one: £0
Over draft: £1000
Loan: £6000
Car: £3000
Savings: £250 (gulp)

Originally i was going to pay £500 off my credit card, put £500 (for emergencys) in savings and then use the rest as a nice well done bonus if there is anything and get some make-up etc (I haven't treated myself for a good long while and feel i deserve it)

My lightbulb moment was last August and i have managed to pay off 33% of my debt and should have it paid off in 21/2 years if i stick to the plan not including any bonus i might receive.

Thought tonight that maybe i should pay off my overdraft and then in 6 months be able to reduced the interest rate on my loan or put it all in savings and plod away at the debt. What are peoples ideas am i missing something blatant?

Thank you in advance for your help/advise/comments
Overdraft = £1000 Emergency fund = £2500
Competition wins 2015 = £1400
:ANathan Henry & Lincoln Marcus born 19th October 2011 :A
:D Naomi Lily born 28th August 2012 :D Lachlan Georg born 4th October 2013 :D
:D Rowena Hazel born 5th October 2015 :D

Comments

• daily_2
    daily_2 Posts: 309 Forumite
    edited 20 July 2009 at 11:52PM
    Options
    Savings is more debt, pay off the highest apr, and use the existing savings to reduce the debt or overdraft.
  • Kitten_Pie
    Kitten_Pie Posts: 1,961 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thats what i was thinking hense the credit card however want to have some savings so that should the worse happen i am prepared
  • daily_2
    Options
    You have an overdraft.
  • Kitten_Pie
    Options
    unfortunately i am up to the limit every month so couldn't use that as my savings unless i use the bonus to pay off the overdraft then use that as savings should the worse happen. Hmm i see an idea forming.
  • daily_2
    edited 20 July 2009 at 10:25PM
    Options
    If you put the savings into the overdraft account, then you have a smaller overdraft, and are no longer at the limit.

If you pay off a credit card with it, you presumably free up credit on that for emergencies.

The only reason not to pay off debt with savings is when they are 0%

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cards/pay-off-debts
  • Kitten_Pie
    Options
    I always thought you should try and save up three months of living allowance for that emergency that would happen but reading that makes so much sense so think i will pay off the overdraft completely and then go into it should an emergency happen will just have to make sure that i don't go back into it just because i can.
  • daily_2
    edited 20 July 2009 at 10:45PM
    Options
    I'm pleasantly surprised, many people on this board continue to make things worse by trying to save by borrowing from overdrafts etc, even when directed to the golden moneysaving rule article. Old habits die hard.

You have £250 now, use it (or £249 if you want to keep the account open) to your best advantage and pay off some debt.
  • Kitten_Pie
    edited 20 July 2009 at 10:57PM
    Options
    I would use my current savings however i have a flat that i rent out and use these savings as a quick get to for when things go wrong which is quite regularly. £250 is a nice buffer just for that (still not quite on board about the no savings) but the bonus will go directly to the overdraft and depending how much above the £1000 i get i will put what i don't spend on me, which will be no more than £50 not used to spending money on me anymore, will go towards the cards which i am transferring to a lower apr card with no balance transfer fee so a saving off about £140 a year which will make quite a nice difference that and the £12 a month saving from paying off the overdraft. Thank you. for your help you've helped make this decision easy
  • daily_2
    edited 20 July 2009 at 11:17PM
    Options
    I spoke to soon.;)

Debt costs far more than savings earn, and if you free up some credit by paying off debt, then you save money straight away, whether that emergency happens or not. If you post details of the debts and apr's and credit limits, it would be easier to tailor advice to your situation.
  • Kitten_Pie
    Options
    I haven't used my credit cards for over a year and am petrified that if i go into them i will loose control so if i have a bit of money aside i don't go into them at all. Although my self control has been good so far i don't want to tempt myself. I'll keep the savings at £250 and stop putting into it and add to the debt which will give me some make believe security and will still pay more of the debt than i am.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport