PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Tips and Quick Questions on “How To Start Being Old Style”

Options

Comments

• katholicos
    katholicos Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Options
    It's terrible to be bullied at work and I'm so pleased for you that you have been able to leave that job behind. I'm sure you will soon be able to implement OS ways back into you life and how nice it will be to sit and leisurely eat breakfast when you used to be doing the morning commute to your previous place of work. Less money is of course a serious issue, but peace of mind has no price on it and i'm certain that you will embrace the necessary OS changes if it means (as it does) that you no longer have to dread going into work.
    Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
  • artybear
    artybear Posts: 978 Forumite
    Options
    This is probably the best website to use, along with all the other fabulous OS tips. http://www.cheap-family-recipes.org.uk it feeds a family of four for £100 and can be adapted for smaller/larger numbers quite easily. For example I fed me and my OH for a month on £50 using it. Its healthy and all the nutrition is shown on each recipe, if you are really health concious.

HTH
    In art as in love, instinct is enough
    Anatole France

Things are beautiful if you love them
    Jean Anouilh
  • Rowan9
    Rowan9 Posts: 2,208 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I am another one who is so pleased that you now have peace of mind. No price on that one. You have been given some really good avice on here. Look forward to reading how you get on and I'm sure it will be good news. Well done for making the change!
    W
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    good luck on the change of job, I too am looking to change due to a bullying environment and I would add to those who have said there is no price on peace of mind or happiness
    I have spent the past few months trying to save money on everything (living on one income) and also getting into old style ways where I can (esp batch cooking, meal planning, using up all the stuff we have in the house already rather than buying more and downshifting brands- do it one at a time! ;) )
    best of luck in your new job, you may well be surprised once you are happy and content at work how much less you "need" to spend making yourself feel better etc..
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thank you BitterAndTwisted for your interesting reply re. drying laundry indoors - I always have some ventilation in the house, as I hate not to have some fresh air, even on the coldest days. I also have more heating than the situation you are talking about, so I hope I can get away with some in-house drying.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I have a conservatory at the back of my house and I stick my washing on the line in the garden and once its as dry as its going to get having had a good blow I put my washing on an airer in my conservatory.I have a small radiator in there that just takes the edge of the cold enough to sit out there in the winter but if my washing is on the airer then I can shut the door from the kitchen and leave it out there until its dry.Lovely smell of fresh washing when I get it off to iron, plus it saves having it cluttering up my kitchen or small sitting room.I also get a bit of sun in there as well which helps.
  • Stoney_G
    Options
    Hi there!! You will love it here - I've picked up so much advice and everyone is lovely!!

I am trying to do a weekly meal plan as I'm finding doing a monthly one is costing more. I've made cooking fun and see it as a nice way to spend an evening - batch cooking with some music or a film on, and you get the added benefit of the heat from the stove!!

I'm relatively new to this but I am so much happier not spending money than I am spending money - weird isn't it?! I think it's the challenge that I love!

Also, freecycle is your friend for a breadmaker or many other things. I have had furniture, clothing storage items from there - give it a go!!

Good luck and have fun :)
  • Kittendreich
    Options
    I stopped communting nearly 3 years ago (over an hours drive down to 5 minutes) and I still find myself seeing the clock at the time I used to get in and smiling...

Consiously use your regained time for moneysaving instead of falling into a new, less helpful routine. Keep going with breakfast & packed lunches, use the time at night to cook better (cheaper, healthier) meals and get/keep on top of the housework.

Enjoy your new life with reduced stress - you might be skint but you shoudl hopefully be much happier which you can't put a price on.
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    pixie1 wrote: »
    So whilst in the past I wanted to be OS, Im now at a point where I need to be.

I hope these changes and my job change will bring comfort and fulfilness
    schrodie wrote: »
    Please be gentle with me because I've never had to do this sort of thing before but circumstances have now dictated that I have to live off around £60 per week and as I've never had to do this before it's somewhat daunting as how the heck I'm going to manage it with respect to food and other expenses.

Good evening to both of you :beer: As you're both looking for tips on how to start (or restart ;) ) being OS, I'll add you to the exisitng thread which has loads of hints and tips from other posters to help you on your way :T
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • schrodie
    schrodie Posts: 8,410 Forumite
    Options
    rosieben wrote: »
    not sure about the more clever bit but Artisan Bread in 5 minutes :D

Schrodie what does your £60 a week have to cover?

Sorry for the delay in replying. The £60 is mainly to feed 2 adults (and 1 cat) however if we can get that down to a minimum then all the better . We're off today to invest in a breadmaker from Comet.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport