We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Internet problems

I had a broadband connection with Wanadoo, which I wanted to cancel to move elsewhere (Talk, Talk) so I phoned them to get a MAC number. Instead of giving me this the idiot I spoke to cancelled my account (accidently, he says!!) so I am now without my broadband.

As a temporary measure I decided to install pay as you go dial up. I disconnected all the telephone adapters and worked through the process with an old Tiscalli disc I found, however, when it came to dial up there was no dialling tone.

Do I need to uninstall the old 'speeddial' broadband softwear from the PC and/or is there something else I should be doing with the computer settings?

Better still is there a PAYG Broadband provider who s compatible with the modem and softwear that is currently installed.

Any help gratefully received!!

Comments

  • wonka
    wonka Posts: 484 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    A few basic questions first:
    1) Do you have a modem installed in the PC? By the modem, I don't mean a broadband modem, I mean one for the telephone network, as they are different types.
    2) Does the modem appear in Device Manager? Go to Control Panle -> System -> Hardware tab. Click Device Manager. Modem should appear in the list. (I assume you have XP?)
    3) Check your Control panel -> Phone and Modem options. Does the modem appear in the list of modems?
    4) Check your Control panel -> Network Connections. Are there any entries under the "Dial Up" section?
    Of course, I may just be talking b****cks!
  • dwsjarcmcd
    dwsjarcmcd Posts: 1,858 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Wonka,
    Yes to your first point, I will check the others when I get home tonight. Cheers
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,448 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    dwsjarcmcd wrote:
    I had a broadband connection with Wanadoo, which I wanted to cancel to move elsewhere (Talk, Talk) so I phoned them to get a MAC number. Instead of giving me this the idiot I spoke to cancelled my account (accidently, he says!!) so I am now without my broadband.

    Any help gratefully received!!

    Speak to Wanadoo again and explain that they have cancelled your account in error. They should be able to re-instate your account for you as they made the mistake and did not do what you asked them to do.

    :eek:
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • dwsjarcmcd
    dwsjarcmcd Posts: 1,858 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    espresso, tried that at the time but may be worth having another go.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.