We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

On IB and wanting to try and work again

Options
Hi

I am on longterm Incapacity Bnefit and am wanting to try and return to work again, not sure how well I will be or do though.

What do I have to do and what support can I recieve during the transition?

What if I find out it was a mistake and need to stop work again?

I have a degenerative condition of my spine amongst other illnesses which is why I am on longterm IB as its not going to improve. Im worried as I really rely on the IB benefit as its my main income but really want to regain some motiviation and self confidence again. Not to mention I might split up with my husband. :(

Failure is only someone elses judgement.
Without change there would be no butterflies.
If its important to you, you'll find a way - if not, you'll find an excuse ! ~ Easy to say when you take money out of the equation!

Comments

• Fleago
    Fleago Posts: 1,185 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Crisp £ Note! Your best first move is probably to phone your local Job Centre and ask for an appointment with the Disability Employment Advisor (DEA). They will be able to tell you about all of the options and sources of support available in your area; it can vary quite a bit, but they should be well placed to know and, if appropriate, refer you.

They will also be able to explain to you about options such as Permitted Work and the 104 week linking rule; the latter offers you the possibility of going back on your IB at the same rate if you have to give up work due to your health within two years of coming off IB.

Good luck!
  • Crisp_£_note
    Crisp_£_note Posts: 1,525 Forumite
    Options
    Fleago wrote: »
    Hi Crisp £ Note! Your best first move is probably to phone your local Job Centre and ask for an appointment with the Disability Employment Advisor (DEA). They will be able to tell you about all of the options and sources of support available in your area; it can vary quite a bit, but they should be well placed to know and, if appropriate, refer you.

They will also be able to explain to you about options such as Permitted Work and the 104 week linking rule; the latter offers you the possibility of going back on your IB at the same rate if you have to give up work due to your health within two years of coming off IB.

Good luck!

Thank you it is very daunting and worrying about it all isnt helping me either. Thanks :)
    Failure is only someone elses judgement.
    Without change there would be no butterflies.
    If its important to you, you'll find a way - if not, you'll find an excuse ! ~ Easy to say when you take money out of the equation!
  • Fleago
    Fleago Posts: 1,185 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It will seem very daunting, but try not to worry about it. :) Just explain to the DEA that you are considering whether you are at the stage of perhaps seeing if you could go back to some form of work and are just looking for information on the help available to let you weigh up the situation before coming to a decision. There should be no obligation on you whatsoever to take up any of their suggestions if you don't want to.

Also, if you haven't already, have a word with your Doctor and see whether they think a possible return to work is a good idea and, if they do, what restrictions on the type of work/hours of work/adjustments and or aids you might need etc, would they suggest. That way you'll have an idea of what might be realistic from a medical point of view before you embark on any action to find work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure