Decorating Costs

Options
13»

Comments

• saveoursovs
    Options
    stehanson wrote: »
    While I know its an old thread, it still contains usefull info...

Dave - not sure if you still use this forum but im curious to know how you can do all that in a day? - not from a time constraight but from a drying time angle?

Coat the ceiling you got a wet edge to dry before the wall is 1st coated, where the two meet, then you have to wait till wall 1st coat dries, before application of second coat, then the second coat has to dry before you can touch the skirts which you will have lapped onto!? - even if you cut in perfect they would have to meet to save any missed area!
    just curious!!
    Cheers Ste

Hi there, I guess that when he quotes a day he means a 'man day' rather than an elapsed day, i.e. he'd do the first half of a room on day1 and then work on a different room in the afternoon, before completing the first room the following morning and the 2nd room the afternoon of that day.:)
  • atthedouble2
    Options
    I am a small decorating firm, i would price this job to be no more than £3000.

These people just haven't got it.

There is NO WAY anyone can price a job without looking at it. Simple as.

There could be 4 layers of wallpaper to strip! and paste to wash off or a load of crumbly lath and plaster underneath.

A nicotine stained ceiling which needs washing down and two coats of a nicotine sealer!

Greasy, dirty walls which need washing down!

Peeling and flaking paint!

A LOT of covering up. You cannot afford to get paint on someone's carpet or priceless vase!

So really it's a silly question. Just get 2nd estimate from another local firm to help you compare prices.

I don't really think £4600.00 to have your whole 4 bedroom house, INSIDE and OUTSIDE decorated sounds over priced at all.
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    These people just haven't got it.

There is NO WAY anyone can price a job without looking at it. Simple as.

There could be 4 layers of wallpaper to strip! and paste to wash off or a load of crumbly lath and plaster underneath.

A nicotine stained ceiling which needs washing down and two coats of a nicotine sealer!

Greasy, dirty walls which need washing down!

Peeling and flaking paint!

A LOT of covering up. You cannot afford to get paint on someone's carpet or priceless vase!

So really it's a silly question. Just get 2nd estimate from another local firm to help you compare prices.

I don't really think £4600.00 to have your whole 4 bedroom house, INSIDE and OUTSIDE decorated sounds over priced at all.

This post was started in 2006. What on earth goes on inside your head?
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • atthedouble2
    Options
    I'm with doozeruk on this one - decorating takes time. £200 for 4 mandays labour is reasonable (no paid holidays, sickness or pension).

£200.00 for 4 man days?

Reasonable? Sounds fishy to be honest. I wouldn't get out of bed for £50.00 a day. And I've only been self employed for a year.

Decorating definitely takes time, as does any other trade. Decorating is SO under rated nowadays.

It's the preparation work that takes time, but a lot of people seem to think you just paint it and that's that. 'anyone can do it'

Then they wonder why their gloss that they slapped on top of gloss over dirt and grease falls off within a few months!
  • atthedouble2
    Options
    phill99 wrote: »

Oh!

Haha I was finding it difficult to price a job, and it made me wonder the average income of a decorator in my area, I didn't see the date!
  • nickj_2
    nickj_2 Posts: 7,052 Forumite
    Options
    phill99 wrote: »

that was 6 years ago , it probably needs doing again by now:rotfl:
  • atthedouble2
    Options
    I'd better get a price in then!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business