Parcel delivery scam

Options
Got this e-mail, as people here are continually receiving parcels (I guess!!), it seemed logical to put it here.

Please pass this on, it might save you some money,
For your information
If you receive a card through your door from a company call PDS (Parcel
Delivery Service) saying that they have a parcel awaiting delivery
instructions and can you contact them on 0906 6611911

DO NOT call the number as this is a mail scam originating from Belize

If you call the number and you start to hear a recorded message you will
already have been billed £15 for the phone call.

If you do receive a card with these details, then please contact
Royal Mail Fraud on 02072396655
or ICTIS at <<<http://www.icstis.org.uk>>&gt;
or your local trading standards office.

This is a genuine scam.

ICTIS have the following information about this number:
This is a card posted through your letter box from PDS Parcel Delivery
suggesting that they were unable to deliver a parcel and to call the premium
rate number in question. This service costs £1.50 per minute.
This service is under investigation by ICSTIS.
Please be aware of this scam and forward this information to as many as possible.
Should you receive a card from this company please follow the above instructions
I only exist in my own mind - if you can see, hear or read me, you are a product of my imagination.

Comments

• jenniferpa
    jenniferpa Posts: 1,036 Forumite
    Options
    Please scope these things out first. There's already a bunch of posts about this "hoax with a grain of truth" on the travel board
  • carrie483
    carrie483 Posts: 1,868 Forumite
    Options
    But none on the ebay board so thank you lulubelle as i dont look at the travel board.

Jenniferpa, lulubelle has done nothing wrong.
    Accept that some days you're the pigeon and some days you're the statue.
  • LULUBELLE_2
    LULUBELLE_2 Posts: 1,103 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry, Jennifer - I don't use the Travel board and never thought to look there. :o
    I only exist in my own mind - if you can see, hear or read me, you are a product of my imagination.
  • jenniferpa
    jenniferpa Posts: 1,036 Forumite
    Options
    Except for 1) the number's fake, 2) this is a exact copy of an email psted on the snopes site. As I said, this is a hoax with a grain of truth in that, while I'm sure someone will again target people using a premium rate phone number, this specific email has been going the rounds for sometime. If you actually read it, it doesn't even make any sense (£15 as opposed to #1.50 per minute). The reason I object, mildly, to this kind of post is that there are enough real scams out there, without dealing with fake ones. Furthermore, since the next actual scam like this will definitiely not come from this number of this name it engenders a false sense of security.

It was not my intention to have a go a Lulubelle, just point out the problems with post such as this.

Jennifer
  • Mr_Squiddy
    Mr_Squiddy Posts: 421 Forumite
    Options
    It was a scam. It probably is not now:

http://www.icstis.org.uk/pdfs_news/email.pdf

According to this the max charge for the number is £1.50 per minute - the £15 charge on connection is not true.

It might be worth checking out the veracity of such scam claims before posting them.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,250 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    **BG**

I'm closing this thread as this hoax mail has been posted a few times already on other boards and since mails like this are designed to clog up systems by being endlessly circulated lets not help them achieve that.

Soo
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure