🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Am I being stupid?

Options

Comments

• rich_months
    rich_months Posts: 110 Forumite
    edited 13 July 2009 at 5:32PM
    Options
    As someone that has been to uni, and went with about a fiver in my pocket, I would keep both jobs for now.

But that's just me. I think you pretty much know what you want to do already, and that's what's important.

edit: I see you posted at the same time as I did! My hunch was correct, you did have an inkling for what you wanted to do ;)
  • Dave101t
    Dave101t Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Options
    quit the cinema job, you are climbing up the career ladder now, dont look back!
    Target Savings by end 2009: 20,000
    current savings: 20,500 (target hit yippee!)
    Debts: 8000 (student loan so doesnt count)

new target savings by Feb 2010: 30,000
  • Chopsie&Chelvis
    Options
    My husband used to work at Blockbuster video whilst at uni doing his teaching degree ... he recently told this to his year 4 class and they thought it was the coolest job ever and think he's mad for leaving it to become a teacher :rotfl: several now have the ambition to work there, having heard that you get to borrow 10 DVDs a week for free. Kids! ha ha.

Update: my husband just read this over my shoulder and said he wonders why he left it too now, ha ha.
  • TheEffect
    TheEffect Posts: 2,293 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies. I know deep down that I want to leave, and one of the main reasons is the stick I'd get from the kids. The hours is another big contribution. I'm the sort of person that knows what I want to do, but need other peoples opinions. Lack of trust in myself?

Anyone, I'll be handing in my notice tomorrow. I know I'll be a lot happier with one job, and also some time off over this summer holidays, while still get paid. (Joys of working in the education system) :D
  • daily_2
    daily_2 Posts: 309 Forumite
    Options
    You'll always need the money, if not now, later.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Quit the cinema job and concentrate on the TA job, your doing too many hours and you need a social life,
  • caraboo
    caraboo Posts: 225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    can you tell me if you gained specific qualifications to be a teaching assistant. as it is something i am thinking about - looking at college websites and still not sure what courses would help.

thanks
    bargain babe
  • Jacka87
    Jacka87 Posts: 369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It might be me but what I think there is something missing from this thread. You say you are on a Gap Year? I can only assume you have either just left school, or uni or have taken a year out in the middle of uni. However I would think 2 things,

1. What is your long term career, what are you studying at uni or going to study etc. if you are working towards being a teacher or something then I would say no question keep that job as it gives you good work experiance. But if you are wanting to be follow any other career then where is the relevence in either, its about whatever pays the most.
    2. I have never taken a gap year, I started "working" when I was 10. I have worked part time jobs through uni and now have graduated and got a proper job I am still working part time to add extra income to pay for holidays etc as the salary only covers the essentials, mortgage etc But if I took a gap year I know one thing, I would not mess around working as a TA and in a cinema. I would be traveling the world working part time jobs everywhere I went to help cover the costs! Is that not what a gap year is for???
    Here to help and be helped!

New to MB, running profit, £16 from MB, £30 cashback!
  • TheEffect
    TheEffect Posts: 2,293 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    caraboo wrote: »
    can you tell me if you gained specific qualifications to be a teaching assistant. as it is something i am thinking about - looking at college websites and still not sure what courses would help.

thanks

Nope. I went to the schools 6th form, studied ICT and Media. When I finished my A Level exams a few weeks ago, the head of SEN asked me if I wanted to work for them for a year. I had previously had an LSA in my lessons from year 7-10 so knew a lot about what to do. I also shadowed another LSA for a while to get the grips of it.
    Jacka87 wrote: »
    It might be me but what I think there is something missing from this thread. You say you are on a Gap Year? I can only assume you have either just left school, or uni or have taken a year out in the middle of uni. However I would think 2 things,

1. What is your long term career, what are you studying at uni or going to study etc. if you are working towards being a teacher or something then I would say no question keep that job as it gives you good work experiance. But if you are wanting to be follow any other career then where is the relevence in either, its about whatever pays the most.
    2. I have never taken a gap year, I started "working" when I was 10. I have worked part time jobs through uni and now have graduated and got a proper job I am still working part time to add extra income to pay for holidays etc as the salary only covers the essentials, mortgage etc But if I took a gap year I know one thing, I would not mess around working as a TA and in a cinema. I would be traveling the world working part time jobs everywhere I went to help cover the costs! Is that not what a gap year is for???

I finished my A Level exams a few weeks ago (at the start of June). I started the LSA job the day after my last exam. I get my A Level results in August. Gap years aren't only about traveling, it can also be about getting work experience, finding out exactly what you want to study and finding out more about yourself.

I do plan on traveling somewhere next year, but for the meantime, I'm working. :)
  • mountainofdebt
    mountainofdebt Posts: 7,795 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    TheEffect wrote: »

I do plan on traveling somewhere next year, but for the meantime, I'm working. :)

Which in my view is even more of a reason to keep the two jobs going certainly in the short term.

When you are a bit older you will realise that the kids poking fun at you now are the losers whilst you will either be seeing some of that great big wide world and having fun whilst not worrying about money or at Uni and having some money in your pocket to live/have fun.
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income