WARNING RE CHIPnPIN + CASH WITHDRAWALS ON CCs

Options
Hi all

Not sure if anyone's posted this before, and apologies if so BUT I thought it worth posting.

When I've received a new credit card in the past, I've ripped up and thrown away the pin number that gets sent as well, the logic being that if I don't know the number, then I can't be lured into taking cash from an ATM - because, as we MoneySavers all know, interest payments on cash withdrawals is where Credit Card companies really make their money.

The problem that's come to light now is this: with CHIPnPIN, I have no choice BUT to know the pin number, otherwise I won't be able to input it when I use the credit card for purchases. After speaking to MINT, they say there's no way of having one pin when using it for purchases and another for cash withdrawals. So, even though I don't WANT to, I now HAVE to know the pin that could let me take out cash - with all the problems that causes.

I can see this loophole getting people with not enough restraint into interest-payments hell.

Can anyone think of a way around this?!

Comments

• jo_b_2
    jo_b_2 Posts: 7,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Self restraint!!! ;)
  • Woby_Tide
    Woby_Tide Posts: 5,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    or big heavy shackle type restraints ;)
  • JasonElse
    JasonElse Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Surely if you're so heavily set on never withdrawing money from a cash machine on your credit card, you won't do it even if you know the PIN?
    Jas
  • klondyke
    klondyke Posts: 463 Forumite
    Options
    It had already occurred to me that Saga were being quite canny by waiving the fee on ATM cash withdrawals until December.

I guess they reckon that, as that's the PIN you're likely to remember, you'll end up using it in the shops ;D
  • rinoa778
    rinoa778 Posts: 196 Forumite
    Options
    Or you could interpret that another way as the customer withdrawing money for free and thinking it is now free. It gets busy at Christmas and not all shops accept cards (or you don't spend enough to use it) so where do you go? The atm of course! Then you have a lovely surprise in January!
    Lurker extraordinaire! no. 4950

Food Shopping & Groceries is my favourite board.
  • klondyke
    Options
    Surely a moneysaver wouldn't think such a thing ;D

I've grabbed some cash and shoved it into Cahoot via the Post Office and transferred the Saga balance ;D ;D
  • James
    James Posts: 2,059 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    An easy way around this is to ask your card issuer for a Chip & Signature Card. I've two of these cards already.

Details on how to get hold of a Chip & Signature Card are under the 'Chip n PIN - A Quick Guide Discussion Area' string.

If you'd like further information don't hesitate to drop me a personal email.
  • klondyke
    Options
    eh?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business