i wanna buy a clarinet

in Music MoneySaving
16 replies 5.6K views
my daughter is starting to learn the clarinet in september and while i dont want to rush out and buy an instrument we have to pay £10 a month instrument rental, so i was wondering if anyone can recommend a decentish make to keep looking out for on ebay in the hope of grabbing a bargain. thanks in advance ;)

Replies

• Buffet & Yamaha are the most popular student instruments although I would be very wary of buying second hand on ebay. Ideally the instrument need to be tried out to check for any problems.

Have you enquired at your daughter's school about buying a clarinet as they can often get a heavily discounted price?

Also have a look here (sorry I can't make it clickable and remove the space)

www. myatt.co.uk/shop/home.php?cat=2102

I have bought from them in the past and they are an excellent company. Haven't spoken with them on the phone but I'm sure if you called they would be able to advise you.
  • naisnais Forumite
    127 Posts
    PPI Party Pooper
    thanks for the tip will check them out
  • NileNile Forumite
    14.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"][email protected][/EMAIL].
    Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • TechnoTechno Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Was in Netto today and they had a violin and they had a clarinet too - that was in Llandudno Junction. It was £59.99 have a look here
    http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/dd1c80b8#/dd1c80b8/6
    If you give your local store a ring they can tell you if they have any left
    ;) If you think you are too small to make a difference, try getting in bed with a mosquito!
  • edited 26 February 2010 at 11:03PM
    Eric_PischEric_Pisch Forumite
    8.7K Posts
    edited 26 February 2010 at 11:03PM
    My friends wife teaches clarinet, my wife is considering learning, they recommend the buffet B12 and Normans who seam to offer huge discounts, they supply a big chunk of the education sector

http://www.normans.co.uk/p-92-buffet-bc2540-2-0-b12-bb-clarinet.aspx
  • I found it very worthwhile buying from a guy who mends and maintains them in his own workshop. With my three children each of their instruments (saxophone, flute and clarinet) needs annual servicing and occasional running repairs. DD2's clarinet is a Stagg . Good up to grade 3 but we are buying her a Yamaha YCL250 for her birthday for grade 4 and onwards, and again we will buy it via our local music workshop because it will need setting up before playing ( If nais is anywhere near Lincoln and wants the details please pm me).

Sobraon
  • The arts council have an interest free credit scheme http://www.artscouncil.org.uk/takeitaway/index.php
    If you are paying monthly rental at the moment this might be worth looking into. I have used this scheme several times in the past, the web site has a list of the participating stores in your area. I bought my daughters clarinet this way and they allowed us to purchase an ex rental instrument at a reduced price which meant my monthly outgings were less and ten months later she had her own clarinet.
  • w.dwsw.dws Forumite
    61 Posts
    Netto are selling Clarinets for £59.99 instore.
  • TechnoTechno Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Mind you, we are probably not helping the original poster as they posted their question in July 2009 so we could be a bit late!
    ;) If you think you are too small to make a difference, try getting in bed with a mosquito!
  • hi there,
    If your child is going to play their clarinet in school or in education ( ie a band in the LA ) you are entitled to not have to pay the VAT.
    I would suggest you don't use normans as their aftercare is poor in my opinion - definatley dont dont dont buy one off the internet ( ebay) no no no.
    I would strongly reccomend you visit john packers website. They produce instruments which are excellent starter instruments, and you should be able to sort out the price not paying vat. They also supply buffet clarinets and more expensive makes, but i would get one of theirs to start with before upgrading.
    You'll need to purchase reeds also for tem once she is learning - buy these in bulk ( a pack of 25) it is much much cheaper as lots of places will charge a few quid per reed, but if you buy a pack from a shop it will work out much better ( your child will use quite a few when first learning, and less as they get more experience.)

I purchase instruments for a music service so I have used lots and lots of retailers, and have found john packers excellent after care - it think they also do a hire purchsase scheme..
    Baby due 4th May 2013
    January grocery challenge £200
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides