🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Please Take Notice!!!!!!!!!!!

Options
Hi All.
Some of my business friends have already been caught with it.I normally post on here,but i hope someone can find the right place for it,as A WARNING TO OTHERS.
Please pass this on, it might save you or someone you know money and hassle,
For your information
If you receive a card through your door from a company call PDS (Parcel
Delivery Service) saying that they have a parcel awaiting delivery
instructions and can you contact them on 0906 6611911
DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT
DO NOT call the number as this is a mail scam originating from Belize

If you call the number and you start to hear a recorded message you will
already have been billed £15 for the phone call.

If you do receive a card with these details, then please contact
Royal Mail Fraud on 02072396655
or ICTIS at <<<http://www.icstis.org.uk>>&gt;
or your local trading standards office.

This is a genuine scam.

ICTIS have the following information about this number.
This is a card posted through your letter box from PDS Parcel Delivery
suggesting that they were unable to deliver a parcel and to call the premium
rate number in question. This service costs £1.50 per minute.
This service is under investigation by ICSTIS.
Please be aware of this scam and forward this information to as many as possible.
Should you receive a card from this company please follow the above instructions

Comments

• Woby_Tide
    Woby_Tide Posts: 5,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    whilst calling an 0906 number is a bad idea, the fact that the email can't decide if you've spent £15 on the call in one second or £1.50 per minute speaks volumes about it's credibility
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    Options
    What has this urban legend to do with travel tips ? As has already been pointed out in another thread where you posted this "fact" , the maximum you can pay on a premium number is £1.50 minute . So to state that as soon as you start listening to the message it will have cost you £15 is complete nonsense.
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • sloppychops
    sloppychops Posts: 6,742 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    "Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
  • Bob63
    Bob63 Posts: 1,320 Forumite
    Options
    http://www.snopes.com/fraud/telephone/pds.asp

Snopes agrees with Hoax Slayer - it was a genuine scam last year but the premium rate line in question was shut down.

Mike
  • trisontana
    Options
    And, of course, there was never any possibility that you would be charged £15 just for dialling that number.
  • MrSmartprice
    MrSmartprice Posts: 17,625 Forumite
    Options
    Why do people still fall for these urban myths? I remember a couple of years ago the mad woman who wrote our local Residents Association newsletter managed to frighten all the local old dears half to death with one of these tales. She told them that if they rang some scamster's number it would cost them fifty quid. But of course she never bothered to check it, which was easy if you used Google. She had to print a retraction in the next issue - three months later.
  • trisontana
    Options
    It's surprising who gets taken in by these stories. A couple of years ago an officer from the Bedfordshire police went onto the BBC Three Counties consumer programme warning people about this supposed woman who knocks on your door saying her car has broken down and could she use your phone? After she has gone you find that this woman has dialled a special number and it has cost you £50. This of course was an urban myth, and the police had to issue a statement the next day apologising for misleading the public.
  • barron_2
    barron_2 Posts: 460 Forumite
    Options
    trisontana wrote:
    And, of course, there was never any possibility that you would be charged £15 just for dialling that number.
    Perhaps the £15 was a misprint,who knows!!,
    The reason it was posted was that i recieved the mail Sunday from one of our directors,I was not to know the scam had been stopped.
    As we and lots of others, employ young persons in mail rooms etc,it was something I thought,could cause harm to business.
    Trisontana/Mr smartprice I hope you never get scammed,but there are lots of people out there who through busy lives or other reasons(gullible possibly!)do get caught.It was posted in travel,as i use this forum alot,on the hope it would be moved byan MSE auditor.
    The scam is shut down so no need.
    Thanks Sloppy for putting the thread up.Keep up the good work.
    I think like Chris(travelman),I shall spend more time looking after my/ourselves than others.
    Happy Hols.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 2 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family