We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Avoid the £5.50 passport fee hike

Options
2»

Comments

• moneysaver12
    moneysaver12 Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is not good, i am getting married in september and can't change my passport till i am married as i am going aboard to get married. I have about 7 and half years left on my passport too. I don't see how they can jusify the increases.
    Married 09/09/09
  • Natbag
    Natbag Posts: 1,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I need to buy my young son a passport, but we don't travel until February. Does anyone know, is it better value to buy now but lose 6 months, or wait and pay the extra?
    Property buying/selling timeline - currently into week 21
    04/12/20: Both properties listed for sale
    11/01/21: Offers accepted on both sales & on our joint purchase
    25/01/21: Identity checks completed, solicitors instructed
    27/01/21: Purchase survey & valuation complete, mortgage offer received 
    05/02/21: Reduction agreed on partner's sale (under-valuation) & on purchase. Mortgage offer amended
    08/02/21: Buyers pack returned to solicitor - sellers packs already returned
    26/02/21: Partner's sale contract signed
    10/03/21: Purchase searches all back
    16/03/21: My sale contract signed
    28/03/21: Purchase enquiries satisfied, Title Report & contracts issued, contracts signed & returned
    11/05/21: Still waiting on final enquiry in the adjoining chain to be resolved. Consent to break the chain granted, instruction to move to exchange given.
    17/05/21: All parties agreed to June 3rd for completion
    27/05/21: Exchanged on my sale only
    28/05/21: ALL EXCHANGED!
    03/06/21: Completion
  • thomasbentley_2
    Options
    My new pp came yesterday, the chap delivering not only took my signature plus name, but also took a photograph of my front door with his hand held gizmo, presumably for security purposes and wanted to view my post box,
    what is happening to this country?
    Bart is mooning the Banks!

Remember: Every good deed deserves punishment!
    :eek: :eek: :eek:
    thomas
    :eek: :eek: :eek:
  • smudge56
    smudge56 Posts: 647 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    They do that in case there is a claim that the passport was not received - the courier company can then show a photograph of the door of the house it was delivered to. They are covering their backs as they are responsible for the delivery of the passport. People dont always put their correct address on their application forms.
  • Trialia
    Trialia Posts: 1,108 Forumite
    Options
    So glad I was issued my passport about a month before the biometric requirement as I don't agree with the idea of it - mine won't expire until summer of 2015. :)
    Homosexual, Unitarian, young, British, female, disabled. Do you need more?
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    This is not good, i am getting married in september and can't change my passport till i am married as i am going aboard to get married. I have about 7 and half years left on my passport too. I don't see how they can jusify the increases.

Keep the old one and travel on your maiden name.
  • smudge56
    smudge56 Posts: 647 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Trialia wrote: »
    So glad I was issued my passport about a month before the biometric requirement as I don't agree with the idea of it - mine won't expire until summer of 2015. :)

Whats not to agrres with? - the information that is held on the chip is just what's on the photo page of the passport.
    It makes it very difficult to substitute another photograph or change personal details
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    My new pp came yesterday, the chap delivering not only took my signature plus name, but also took a photograph of my front door with his hand held gizmo, presumably for security purposes and wanted to view my post box,
    what is happening to this country?

You would be moaning more if someone else got held of your passport.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Fotoman_2
    Fotoman_2 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    smudge56 wrote: »
    It makes it very difficult to substitute another photograph or change personal details

It's extremely easy to substitute another photograph and all the biometric details when you have the right equipment. How do you think terrorist organisations operate?
    There is no such thing as a fool-proof system which is why ID cards will open the floodgates to all kinds of criminal acts.

Fotoman
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many moments take your breath away!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport