We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Sky Plus

I have seen a few sky plus boxes for sale on ebay etc. If I buy one of these does it mean I wouldnt have to pay the extra £10 per month to sky for the sky plus service?
I would appreciate any advice - I cant see the incentive of buying one if I still then have to pay the extra subscription.

Comments

  • lee634
    lee634 Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    you have to pay the £10 / month unless you have a premium channel on your package i.e. sports or movies,

    gives you the ability to watch 1 channel record another or record 2 channels whilst watching a playback
  • lee634
    lee634 Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    talking about this £10 /month i have just sent sky an e-mail asking why the charge
    see copy of it below

    Dear Sky
    I would like to know why I am being charged £10 / month to have the record facility activated on my sky+ box,
    The reason I ask is that I have just lowered my package, now without premium channels and have been told I would have to pay £10 /month to use the Sky+ facility,
    I don’t understand the reason for this as I bought the box, this was not subsidised by sky,
    You are not sending me a second channel as these are transmitted by the satellite,
    If I were to go and buy a freeview box with HDD recorder I wouldn’t have to pay anyone to be able to use that,
    In my opinion this is just another way of sky making money for nothing,
    Having been a customer of yours for nearly 4 years, I do not understand the reason for this charge
    I look forward to your reply
    Regards
    L J Punyer

    I think this is a fair comment anybody else agree ????
  • nickmack
    nickmack Posts: 4,435
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    They charge it because they think they can get away with it.

    The easy way to lose the £10 is to call up and cancel your Sky subscription. They'll tell you they don't want to lose you and after a bit of banter will give you 25% off your subs for the next 12 months.
  • lee634
    lee634 Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    Already done that, got half price for the next 6 months, but that doesn't include the sky+ subscription, which is still £10 on top.

    The point is why shouldwe pay it in the first place as Sky don't do anything specifically for you to have Sky +
  • nickmack
    nickmack Posts: 4,435
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    lee634 wrote:
    The point is why shouldwe pay it in the first place as Sky don't do anything specifically for you to have Sky +

    The original answer from Sky a few years ago was that it was for development costs for new features.

    Now I don't know how much they pay their programmers, but it must be a hell of a lot if they use the £10/month from every Sky+ subscriber to pay their wages!

    As I said before, they can do pretty much what they like. They more or less have a monopoly. But this is changing with Tivo and DVD Recorders, so who knows, they might drop the charge altogether in the face of real competition.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.