PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

electric meter problem

Options
I've got a few problems with the rented house i've just got the keys for, it has a pre pay elctric meter which i didnt know about should the LA have told me about this? Also in the inventory it says the meter is £25 in credit but when i look it is actually £26 in debt any ideas who i should speak to get this soreted? Last questin how do i go about switching back to a normal meter from the pre pay one? Thanks

Comments

• maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    How can a pre-pay meter be in debt?
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • clutton_2
    clutton_2 Posts: 11,149 Forumite
    Options
    they often are - whenever my tenants leave - the meters always eat up the first £20 i put in .....

you need to get your LL to phone electric company and say that the old tenant has left - and you will then need a new payment card in your name if you are to continue using it
    but - does your Tenancy agreement allow you to change the meter ?
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,913 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How can a pre-pay meter be in debt?

Don't even go there. It's a mine field.

Firstly, they have an amount that you can go into debt by yourself. Then these things have standing charges so even if you don't use any electricity they are charging you - so if the house is empty it's just clocking up debt.

OP, you need to call the people on the payment card to try and get the debt wiped - often more easily said than done. Most of the companies in my experience have changed the meter, on your request, four weeks after you've taken on the account. npower have just told my H however that you need the account for a year, which is outrageous!
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • chnelomi
    chnelomi Posts: 462 Forumite
    Options
    call the electric company if its one of the new meters they just give you a special number and you go to a shop that sells them. they tell you the ones nearest you. it cost £8 i think now but this goes as a credit on the meter.

Ask about changing the meter but some charge for the change.
    slowly going nuts at the world:T
  • crazyfool2k9
    Options
    ok thanks guys for this advice will get on it the mornin, its annoying because i've never used these things before and movin in on staurday and the house has no electric!!!
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Didn't you do a proper check-in with the letting agent? I'd photograph the debt on the meter on and also write to the letting agent informing them of your actions, as on check out they will expect the meter to be £25 in credit. You don't necessarily need a normal credit meter, pre-pay is ok if you are sensible with energy and ensure you switch to the cheapest supplier ASAP (price up Ebico).
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • N79
    N79 Posts: 2,615 Forumite
    Options
    Normally the electricity companies will give new occupants sufficient free credit to wipe out the debt on the meter if you phone up and ask them. However, I have also always been requesting a meter change.

Crazyfool - would you be able to qualify for a credit meter? If so, then even if your tenancy agreement does not allow you to change the meter it would be worth writing to your LL to ask if you can make the change. It will save you lots of money in the long run.
  • crazyfool2k9
    crazyfool2k9 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    ok rang e-on and got new account set up they have wiped the debt. when i asked about changing to direct debit though they said i had to be with them for 12 months and pay £50 is this usual? or does anyone now of a company that might change it for me now?
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ok rang e-on and got new account set up they have wiped the debt. when i asked about changing to direct debit though they said i had to be with them for 12 months and pay £50 is this usual? or does anyone now of a company that might change it for me now?

That's quite common. Use a price comparison site and a cashback site to switch to someone cheaper than Eon ASAP.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • E.ON_Company_Representative
    E.ON_Company_Representative Posts: 806 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    when i asked about changing to direct debit though they said i had to be with them for 12 months and pay £50 is this usual?

Hi crazyfool,

Just to confirm this information is correct.

It's worth noting that if you have moved from an E.ON supplied property and you had a clean credit history with a credit meter, the rules above won't necessarily apply and the meter may be changed for free and soon. :beer:

Brian
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport