PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Girlfriends name on mortgage of parents house question

Options
Hi just looking for some information

My girlfriend and her sister took over the mortgage on their parents house, their parents still live there and cover the mortgage.

Question is she now lives with me, and her sister is moving in with her boyfriend soon so will soon be getting put on our mortgages.

A friend mentioned drawing up a tenants agreement so that their income is not deducted from their disposable income when going for a mortgage is this right

Should one of these agreements be drawn up what implications will it have including tax wise

Comments

• Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,913 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Unless your girlfriend earns a sum significant enough to cover the income multiples on two residential mortgages, she can't have two.

If she wanted another mortgage, she'd have to seek 'permission to let' from her existing mortgage lender before she could take on another, provided there was enough equity in the property for the existing lender to agree.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • atlas2l8v
    atlas2l8v Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    cheers for the reply

So this tennants agreement he mentioned will not help ??
  • Catblue
    Catblue Posts: 872 Forumite
    Options
    I don't understand what you mean by tenants' agreement. And I also don't really understand who would be needing this tenants' agreement and for what reason. Sorry.

Are you planning for you and your girlfriend to be living alone with just yours and her name on the mortgage?

Or are you planning on having you, your girfriend, her sister and her boyfriend on your mortgage? Why on earth would you want to do this?
  • atlas2l8v
    atlas2l8v Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    nooooooo :rotfl:

My girlfriend and her sister have a mortgage on their parents property, to which their parents pay the mortgage as they live there(dont ask long story)

Now my girlfriend lives with me (I have a sole mortgage) and will soon want to get a joint mortgage on my house

My mate is in the same position with my girlfriends sister

Does that make sense, someone told us they are able to do this if they draw up a tennants agreement as this allows for their income not to be discounted from the first property

Does this make sense ??
  • Emmzi
    Emmzi Posts: 8,658 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Do they have a buy to let mortgage at the moment? I think if they own the house and they are renting it to parents they need permission from the lender. The rental income will be taken into account when looking at new borrowing but won't totally offset the mortgage costs as there is more expense to running a house than just the mortgage.
    Debt free 4th April 2007.
    New house. Bigger mortgage. MFWB after I have my buffer cash in place.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport