Haggle down the cost of your existing mortgage

edited 8 July 2009 at 6:36PM in Mortgages & Endowments
47 replies 27.1K views

Replies

• paylesspayless Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    yep.. as you say - likely the person mentioned is either a windup merchant OR someone not tied/ coming to end of tie OR erc was charged
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
  • kevrexkevrex Forumite
    95 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    If interest rates go higher than my fixed rate and the bank ring me and ask if I could pay a bit more? I wonder what my response would be!:mad:
    same as theirs if I asked now for a rate reduction I imagine.
    Is it April 1st
    It is better to contemplate writing a malicious comment that can make you appear stupid, than to write and confirm it.
  • chocwomchocwom Forumite
    7 Posts
    MSE_Martin wrote: »
    I think there's some confusion here...

I can't see the problem for asking for a reduction in your rate especially as it has been done. There is a problem with being annoyed if it doesn't happen. And i think the note is very plain people must assume that rejection is the likely outcome.

As for the difference between haggling and asking for a rate reducation - its purely semantic. The point is there's no harm asking if your lender will drop your rate... and this note is to get people to have a go and see if there's a widespread pattern (or simply the one person was a one off).

Martin
    Am I being crazy by gambling a remaining 2 years fixed at 5.19% and £2500 get-out-fees to take a 10 year fix at 5.39% now? My thinking is two-fold- I will want a longer guarantee and my "reading of the tea leaves" (ie listening to most people's predictions about what interest rates will be like in 2 years makes me think fixing now is worthwhile.
    I know its a gamble but anyone like to work out what interest rates will have to rise to to make it a good bet?
  • luckyfoolluckyfool Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    FJQ wrote: »
    Am I being crazy by gambling a remaining 2 years fixed at 5.19% and £2500 get-out-fees to take a 10 year fix at 5.39% now? My thinking is two-fold- I will want a longer guarantee and my "reading of the tea leaves" (ie listening to most people's predictions about what interest rates will be like in 2 years makes me think fixing now is worthwhile.
    I know its a gamble but anyone like to work out what interest rates will have to rise to to make it a good bet?

Not necessarily. How big is your mortgage?
    7 Posts
    Less than the average
  • luckyfoolluckyfool Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    I just mean that £2500 in erc's is alot of money on a £50k to 100k mortgage, and in that scenario especially if at the lower end I'm not convinced that it makes sense. If it was a £250k mortgage then it only works out at £250 per year on a 10 yr fixed rate, and would add only 0.10% to the effective rate on your 10 yr deal, i.e. turning a 5.39% 10 yr deal into a 5.49% deal. On a £50,000 mortgage it adds 0.50% per year, making the effective rate more like 5.89%.
    7 Posts
    That's very very impressive and helpful- I am trying to work out how high rates realistically may go- but you've helped me quantify it
  • FJQ wrote: »
    Less than the average

Why be so vague about it?
    7 Posts
    ....but your maths has intrigued me- 5.6%-ish is less than many rates even offered now- or what have I missed out? And I know its crystal ball gazing but anyone predict base rate in 24 months?
    7 Posts
    _Andy_ wrote: »
    Why be so vague about it?
    ...only because the exact sum isn't the issue here- its more whether the whole issue of "fixing now"- which is commonly held- should be one considered by more than just those who are presently coming to the end of their fixes...
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals