Have I got brick rot?

Options
Hiya everyone, all replies appreciated.I'm currently in process of doing up the attic so my son can have it as his bedroom. On the red brick chimney breast one brick is all crumbly , it's started to wear away. The other bricks don't seem to be affected, there is a bit of white on a couple. Is this something sinister or just a bad brick. If so can I paint something on it so I don't get red brick dust on the cream carpet! Thanks.

Comments

• olias
    olias Posts: 3,588 Forumite
    Options
    If it's just the one brick, can you not chop it out and replace. Should be a simple job for a competent diyer. As far as the white powder is concerned. I think this is salt leaching from the bricks. Not sure, but I think you can get a brick sealant to seal the surface.

Does your attic have proper stairs, window, ventilation etc. If not, then it will not pass building regs as a bedroom. If you are tempted to 'unofficially turn it into a bedroom, eg just with access via a ladder and boarding it out, just remember why the regs are there. If there was a fire your son could be easily trapped with no means of escape among other things

Olias
  • AdrianW2
    AdrianW2 Posts: 416 Forumite
    Options
    Would replacing a brick damage the chimney liner and allow flue gasses into the bedroom?
  • olias
    olias Posts: 3,588 Forumite
    Options
    I would have thought the chimney would be two bricks thick, maybe someone else has more knowledge. Adds weight to the concern over using a cheap and non compliant attic conversion for a bedroom though.

Olias
  • wilmaflintstone
    Options
    Thanks for replies everyone! To answer your question olias, yes, attic does have proper stairs and 2 dormer windows, It was used as a bedroom by my late father many years ago but obviously not to my son's taste but thanks for pointing out about regs anyway. It does make sense to just knock brick out but as a singleton with no male help to call on that seems daunting and being on a tight budget for job am not sure how much a pro would charge. thanks again.
  • AdrianW2
    AdrianW2 Posts: 416 Forumite
    Options
    A quick Google gives these two guides on brick replacement:

http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/REPLACING_A_DAMAGED_BRICK.htm
    http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/Replacingabrick.htm

You'll get the satisfaction of having learned a new skill as well as saving on a tradesman.
  • wilmaflintstone
    Options
    Thanks alot Adrian, I'll have a look at that, tho in comparrison to what happened this morning that seems minor now. I went into back yard to put rubbish out and found big lumps of stone all over yard. LOoked up to see big hole in lintle over bathroom window,i'm thinking maybe rain's been driving in over the years and this is the result. If that's the case it could happen to all my lintles.Cripes, where will it all end. cheers, wilma.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure