Bathstore not honouring warranty

Options
Hi,

I had a bathroom installation done a few months ago (mostly Bathstore items).

The show valve has developed a problem where it will not work. Plumber thinks non-return valves on shower is sticky and needs replacing.

The shower valve is manufactured by Ultra and basically I've been given the runaround. Neither company (Bathstore or Ultra) wants to cough up the money to repair the shower valve.

What are my rights?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• 4743hudsonj
    4743hudsonj Posts: 3,298 Forumite
    Options
    alexcrewe wrote: »
    Hi,

I had a bathroom installation done a few months ago (mostly Bathstore items).

The show valve has developed a problem where it will not work. Plumber thinks non-return valves on shower is sticky and needs replacing.

The shower valve is manufactured by Ultra and basically I've been given the runaround. Neither company (Bathstore or Ultra) wants to cough up the money to repair the shower valve.

What are my rights?

Thanks for any help.

bathstore not ultra must replace and fit the valve

read up on the sale of goods act s 14

contact trading standards for help

and create a letter quoting the act asking them to resolve the issur with a repair
    Back by no demand whatsoever.
  • alexcrewe
    Options
    bathstore not ultra must replace and fit the valve

read up on the sale of goods act s 14

contact trading standards for help

and create a letter quoting the act asking them to resolve the issur with a repair

I cant seem to find the Sale of Goods Act online. Do you have a link for it?

Cheers,

Kevin
  • 4743hudsonj
    Options
    I cant seem to find the Sale of Goods Act online. Do you have a link for it?

Cheers,

Kevin

http://statutes.agc.gov.sg/non_version/cgi-bin/cgi_getdata.pl?&actno=1999-REVED-393&date=latest&method=part&segid=933565622-000021#933565623-000179

contact consumer direct, they can provide you more advice and give you templates for letters
  • fwor
    fwor Posts: 6,811 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    There's also a good guide to key points here:

http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html

However, be aware that your rights will vary depending on whether you bought the items for the plumber to fit, or whether the plumber bought them.

If the latter, the situation will be very different, as if the plumber is acting as a business, the SOGA won't apply.

If you bought the item and it is demonstrably faulty, Bathstore is obliged to replace or repair, but not to remove or refit it. They are not obliged to pay you to have someone else repair it.

Also, be prepared for Bathstore to claim that the plumber caused damage to the valve. If asked, you need to be unequivocal about the fact that the plumber fully flushed out the pipework before fitting the valve.
  • alexcrewe
    Options
    fwor wrote: »
    If you bought the item and it is demonstrably faulty, Bathstore is obliged to replace or repair, but not to remove or refit it. They are not obliged to pay you to have someone else repair it.

But what if the replacement/repair requires the removal and refit of the shower valve?

I read your link and it was very good. Would seeking damages be the route to take?

Thanks
  • 4743hudsonj
    Options
    But what if the replacement/repair requires the removal and refit of the shower valve?

I read your link and it was very good. Would seeking damages be the route to take?

Thanks

sorry i should have been more precise in my post

yes you would need to seek damages and fitting costs etc
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business