direct debit credit card mininum payment does not match

Options
hi i have a hasbc credit card i sent of a direct debit mandate but the credit
card number now set up on my first direct account does not match the credit
card number some guy in india said it does not matter as that number corrispondes to there system i have always had credit cards that match up on the direct debit if it is wrong it is me who will have problems as this will affect credit rating any one else had this thanks

Comments

• jetsetuk
    jetsetuk Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    After reading your message, checked mine and it too has a different reference number. I also am with First Direct so hopefully its an accounting thing. I've sent them a message questioning the difference in numbers and I'll report back what they say about it.
  • Bokken_2
    Bokken_2 Posts: 657 Forumite
    Options
    Welcome to MSE

Get online and double check or go into a branch and get one of the personal banking staff to sort it for you until you are completly satisfied.
    Do this now before the account is in regular use and you will save yourself potentially a lot of hassle later.
    It is always worth checking and rechecking.If it turns out that there is nothing wrong great.
  • gingercordial
    gingercordial Posts: 1,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do make sure you check this again because Halifax once set up a DD from my bank account to someone else's credit card, and the correct DD definitely showed my credit card number as the reference (as do those for all my other cards). It took ages to get the money back (tip in case this happens: go via your own bank not the CC).

My first DD payment is due to go to HSBC at the end of the month so I'd be interested in what you find out.
  • steve222_2
    steve222_2 Posts: 69 Forumite
    Options
    i phone a guy up at hsbc and he said the reason the number is different is
    for security reasons but it does corrispond to my credit card i asked if he could send a letter to confirm this he said no, all i need to do is take is name date and time and hasbc can listen to a tape recording sounds like the gestepo to me why are hsbc full of crap do they try to trip you up so you get into difficulties just for the fun of it
  • steve222_2
    Options
    anybody heard anything yet
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I checked and my reference doesn't match too. Calm down and forget about this ...
  • steve222_2
    Options
    but have your direct debits gone though okay
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Many people (me included) had problems in Dec-Jan with HSBC CC first DD. However, this had nothing to do with the reference. Now my DD works fine despite of the reference not matching the CC number.
  • moneyowl
    Options
    I'd be inclined to beleive their explination - ie the security issue.

One of the disadvantages to the bank of basing their custom support abroad is that they have to send sensitive processing information abroad too, and clearly thay will strive harder to reduce the dissemination of that information, particulary in a foreign country.

Grumbler advice to relax, is fair enough, but I'd check that the payments are being lifted and your credit card balance is reflecting the payments made in the next month or two. Hold on to your statements - always a good idea - and they you will be covered. If you are particulary nervous, be sure to check your credit file, in advacne of your next credit application.
  • jetsetuk
    jetsetuk Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    Just to add some sort of closure to this thread, my first direct debit payment has been successfully actioned and credited to my account. Obviously the different numbers have something to do with their security and/or accounting system as previously mentioned.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure