PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Advice for offer

Options
Hi all, new to the forum and finding the advice from users here fantastic, and wondered if anyone has some advice regarding an offer I'm planning to make.

Saw a property yesterday (3 bed terrace house) which is on the market @ £175k. It had previously been listed at £190k, and there is an almost identical property (end of terrace rather than mid-terrace) in the next road down still on the market @ £195k.

The agent for the place I viewed has advised:
1) that the price has been dropped below stamp duty threshold to generate maximum interest
2) sellers won't move much on price as they've already dropped so much off asking price
3) a £170k offer was rejected prior to dropping the price

Now all 3 of these could be simple lines to drive up offers, but the price does seem genuinely low for the area.

I've viewed several places and fallen in love with this one as it's perfect for size and location (only one of 15 that I've seen that I can say that for), and don't want to miss out, so I'm planning to make a "take it or leave it" £171k offer to head off any other interest. Am I being naive and letting myself be played here?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Graham

Comments

• Graham1979
    Graham1979 Posts: 46 Forumite
    edited 5 July 2009 at 12:43PM
    Options
    A couple of points to clarify. My budget is £175k (maybe £180k at a push). The selling agent asked my budget and I said £170k which is what prompted his line 3) above.

The area is one of the most desirable villages in hertfordshire, albeit this property is the cheap end of the market for that village.

I'm planning to ask for curtains, carpets and all white goods to be included in the sale.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport