Homecall - Premium Rate Call Pricing!

Options
Just to let you know that not only do Homecall charge more than the advertised rate for a premium call, but they also LIE about why they do.

Just spoke to them about calls made and they told me the reason they charge more is because BT get a discount on premium rate calls, which of course is a load of rubbish.

The Icstis website has confirmed this to be the case. They advise that if a different provider to BT charge more for a call, in this case Homecall, the extra money they charge goes straight into there pockets.

I am currently deciding on what course of action to take next. I was planning on ditching them in August when BT's price curbing is lifted, but now I may leave them earlier.

What do you think about both the situation and what action should be taken next?
If saved £2710 and only spent the interest (Based on a return of 5%), you would have enough money to pay your TV Licence every year. Saving you £7452.50 over a period of 55 years, based on you buying a license from the age of 20 until your 75 at a cost of £135.50.

Comments

• Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    topherxp wrote:
    I am currently deciding on what course of action to take next. I was planning on ditching them in August when BT's price curbing is lifted, but now I may leave them earlier.
    I think you may have trouble trying to leave (see HERE).
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Do a google(sorry am no good at links) homecall caudwell guardian newspaper worst.
    do some more searching of review sites.they will all tell you the same thing.Previous company was singlepoint-do some googling .Apparently even ifyou pay several hundred to get out of the contract they wont release you until the end of the contract according to many others.Two tips,get complaints details from oftel,and dont bother to speak,only communicate through recorded delivery.,they will say they havent received your letters.dont bother with so- called customer service.These people lie.I have lots of history with them they are the worst company i have EVER dealt with.Each time they owed me money it took on average 3 months to get it back.
  • utilitybroker
    utilitybroker Posts: 2,207 Forumite
    Options
    Did you not see last weeks Watchdog which featured them. Their new owners Pipex might be more helpful when they have had a chance to sort things out.
  • topherxp
    topherxp Posts: 267 Forumite
    Options
    Did you not see last weeks Watchdog which featured them. Their new owners Pipex might be more helpful when they have had a chance to sort things out.
    Pipex may well make the necessary changes needed, but I will not be there to witness them.

I phoned BT Customer Options Team and had an order placed to bring me back to BT, which will be done by the 21st April. I then sent Homecall the standard notice of termination.
    If saved £2710 and only spent the interest (Based on a return of 5%), you would have enough money to pay your TV Licence every year. Saving you £7452.50 over a period of 55 years, based on you buying a license from the age of 20 until your 75 at a cost of £135.50.
  • hollydays
    Options
    I myself was one of many who complained to watchdog,just to keep the numbers up! What did the programme say-mmm..appalling,maddening customer service-and lies-then more of the same times 20?Anyone see it?Wish i had.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am rather disappointed at my ISP showing such poor judgement in buying this company, especially when they have a perfectly good cps arrangement already.
  • looby75
    looby75 Posts: 23,387 Forumite
    Options
    I was slightly conserned when I learnt that pipex had bought out homecall too. But maybe it will be ok, pipex have always been brilliant imo and maybe they are the co to sort this mess out.
  • bbb_uk
    bbb_uk Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    Options
    Remember it is only currently* BT's prices that are pretty much regulated. All other providers can charge what they like and often do especially for non-geographical numbers (07x, 08x, 09x).

I believe that when advertising premium rate numbers it has to mention that the rate mentioned (ie 50ppm) is from a BT landline, other providers may differ. I think it also may state something along the lines of please check with your provider for exact call charges.

* I say currently but ofcom want to remove most of the regulations they have on BT. I personally believe this will mean increases in pretty much a lot of things except maybe call charges to geographical numbers
  • utilitybroker
    utilitybroker Posts: 2,207 Forumite
    Options
    hollydays wrote:
    I myself was one of many who complained to watchdog,just to keep the numbers up! What did the programme say-mmm..appalling,maddening customer service-and lies-then more of the same times 20?Anyone see it?Wish i had.

You can read about what the programme touched on
    here:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/tv_and_radio/watchdog/reports/services/services_20060404.shtml
  • hollydays
    Options
    Thanks,just found that link!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts