Warning - do not use wolstenholmes solicitors

Options

Comments

• lyster101
    Options
    I heard the name Wolstenholmes at 7.08 this morning on 5 Live and thought I was dreaming!

I completed in April and am still waiting for satisfactory resolution. Further to my other updates regarding Wolstenholmes and my purchase.

The names Helen Murgatroyd, Nasser Ilyas and Imran Hussain on the BBC website (and Asma Qayum in the previous post) fill me with angry memories.

It seems my case with the LCC is just one of 116! I recieved emailed updates from a Helen Bingham who received nothing from Wolstenholmes. Eventually, she has resorted to forwarding my complaint to a 'Complaints Centre'. Has anyone had any joy from here?
  • Simply_Me_2
    Options
    Betty123 wrote: »
    I.H. has been with WH in Manchester since early June (not September as he claimed) at least and previously at the Birmingham office before, but not sure when. I am surprised that Asma (Nasa Ilyas wife) has not been suspended as she is a solicitor that works there and she along with the other five were aware of what was going on. So I do not believe that this is a witch hunt in any way, just people trying to find out what has gone on.

It does make you wonder as I note that she still has her PC, but in fairness there are a few others "involved" who still currently retain their PC. I suspect that as the investigation gets underway we will see more PC's suspended.
  • moongate
    Options
    STEVEN CLARKE and DAVID BURKE
    SOLICITORS

As you may well be aware, the law firm of Wolstenholmes LLP Solicitors has now been closed down by the Law Society.

STEVEN CLARKE and DAVID BURKE would like to make it absolutely clear that they have had NO involvement whatsoever in the management of that firm since September 2008.

On the 31st July 2006 they retired as partners in the firm of Wolstenholmes, and they sold their interests to a new proprietor. On the 1st August 2006 the new proprietor established the new firm of Wolstenholmes LLP and Messrs Burke and Clarke became members of the LLP with a tiny minority holding.

In the Summer of 2008 the proprietor brought in a new Management team and one of their first acts was to strip Messrs Burke and Clarke of all management functions. A major dispute then followed over the way in which the firm was being managed and the way it was going forward, and the end result was that on the 3rd December 2008 Messrs Burke and Clarke were locked out and excluded from the practice altogether. A retirement deed was then subsequently negotiated on terms which were very favourable to Messrs Burke and Clarke.

We wish to emphasise that we have not been involved in any of the activities or actions of Wolstenholmes LLP since September 2008.
  • FraudBuster
    Options
    Will Imran Hussain be defending himself?

Defending winding up and bankruptcy petitions for individuals and private limited companies. Defending and instigating actions brought for professional negligence and breach of fiduciary duty. Advising on complex, high value contractual disputes, including Land Tribunals work and neighbour disputes.

http://www.wolstenholmes.co.uk/solicitor_imranhussain.html
  • mjmal51
    mjmal51 Posts: 592 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 31 December 2009 at 1:31PM
    Options
    lyster101 wrote: »
    I
    I completed in April and am still waiting for satisfactory resolution. Further to my other updates regarding Wolstenholmes and my purchase.

It seems my case with the LCC is just one of 116!

I completed a couple of months ago and no post completion work was done, Stamp Duty being the biggest worry. I am one of the 116 cases with LCC and expected there would be many more, but think a lot of people are still unaware of the problems (seemingly deliberate!). It is this forum that alerted me and has been the best source of info. DWF are aware of this thread it should help them find a common theme on the issue.
    The agents DWF collected over 600 files from Heald Green (makes me wonder if those from B/ham did actually transfer?) and have people from all their departments working through them and prioritising. They have now given me confidence that all will be sorted eventually. Just hope that the money has been saved and is adequate to recompense everybody. My anger is now directed at the SRA for not acting a long time ago given the information I have read here.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/8435780.stm
  • groovy_mucker
    Options
    ugly mug? actually, i think he's quite foxy and a decent lawyer! he acted for me on a litigation matter and was really helpful. So..............bit of a which hunt really.....

jessica

Best way to choose a lawyer: on looks.

:rolleyes:
  • cakinwande
    cakinwande Posts: 148 Forumite
    edited 31 December 2009 at 1:58PM
    Options
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p005qrjs/Beswick_at_Breakfast_31_12_2009/

Go to the two hour mark to hear the interview

http://www.bbc.co.uk/5live/programmes/schedules
    5 live Breakfast
    Phone-in, 31/12/2009

7 days left to listen
    David Tennant takes calls on the eve of his final episode as Doctor Who.

Listen about 2:20 in
  • Mike_Teas
    Options
    Best way to choose a lawyer: on looks.

:rolleyes:

Then " looks " out !!

The firm has been closed down and five solicitors have had their licenses suspended by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA). amid claims of dishonest behaviour.
  • Legaltype
    Options
    I am sure that the SRA nominated solicitors will deal with the 600 files (I guess there are more) as quickly as they can, but there will doubtless be email records to read and filing to sort out. Even if they prioritise the work it is going to take a little while to sort things out so don't expect miracles. Compensation claims will probably take months, if not years, to resolve. If any people find that their properties have not yet been registered at the Land Registry, or if there are concerns about whether or not stamp duty has been paid, my advice would be to contact the mortgage company without delay and explain the position to them. What a mess, but good luck to those affected.
  • picklesjsw
    Options
    The BBC article is in the Manchester section on BBC news with the page '8435780.stm' [maybe somebody else could post a direct link please, as I can't being a new user].

Wolstenholmes are a nightmare, I helped a friend with a dispute he had with them in 2008. He dealt with Wolstenholmes - when they had a competent Solicitor who since left the firm to work for a competent firm realizing how nightmarish they were. The short end of the story is that they delayed changing the ownership details on a property he owned which meant he couldn't draw-down on a re-mortgage, and hence was losing money daily.

Eventually they settled for over £2k, but had I not gotten involved and helped him out the damage would have been even more extensive and it would have gone to the Legal Complaints Service.

Anybody who has problems with Wolstenholmes should contact the Legal Complaints Service ("LCS") - [search for "Legal Complaints Service" in Google - or somebody else could please post a direct link?] and the Fraud & Confidential Intelligence Bureau at the Solicitors Regulation Authority ("SRA") - [search for "Solicitors Regulation Authority" in Google, then on the site select "For consumers", then "Problems with a Solicitor" and finally "Recognizing fraud and dishonesty" - if somebody could please post a direct link, I'm sure others would appreciate it.]

The Legal Complaints Service deal with complaints about Solicitors in England & Wales and can order a firm to pay compensation. Any compensation - as would losses - would be paid out of Wolstenholmes professional indemnity insurance policy, or the SRA Compensation Fund.

Any current clients - at the date of intervention with Wolstenholmes - should be contacted by the SRA intervening Solicitor to deal with their cases, or release them elsewhere. The SRA has certain Solicitors who are specialized in "intervention", i.e. taking over the files of a firm and organizing them.

Good Luck to all who have been screwed by Wolstenholmes.

The usual procedure for complaints about Solicitors is to write them a letter detailing the complaints, addressed to The Senior Partner, giving them 28 days to respond. This should be sent by Special [not Recorded] Delivery so that there are no disputes as to the date of receipt. If they don't respond within 28 days, then a complaint should be lodged with the LCS immediately. If they do, then conduct all communication in writing and give it up to 3 months to be resolved. If it isn't resolved at this stage, or there is a final letter that you don't accept before then, take it to the LCS.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure