PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How to find out service providers for house?

Options
Hey Folks,

Saw a msg on these few days/wks ago but can't find it now.

The house i am due to complete on in a wk or two was rented out previously so vendor [landlord] doesn't know which service providers were used for say; water/gas/electric/phone.

How do i go about finding out? :confused:

thanks in advance X

Comments

• Ian_W
    Ian_W Posts: 3,778 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Water should be easy - you can't switch - in my neck of the woods it's United Utilities, I'm guessing but in Licolnshire isn't it Anglian?

With the others why not ring one of the major providers like British Gas for power and BT for the phone, tell them you were thinking of using them (whether you were or not!) but need to establish the existing porovider. They should be able to tell you or at least point you to someone who can.

P.S. Use say no to 0870 to get none premium line numbers.
  • duncan303
    duncan303 Posts: 305 Forumite
    Options
    your post interested me so I will give go:

If you do not know the current electricity supplier ring: Customer Empas Enquiry Service on Telephone No. 08456 030618.

If you do not know the current Gas supplier ring Transco M number enquiry line on Telephone No. 08706 081524.

These two numbers above might be region specific, but they should give you the correct number for your area. You should also fire them into Say no to 0870 and see if they have an alternative

Water you probably have no choice, unless you have a borehole.

As for phone. if you hook up a spare phone to a socket (if there is one) and if you hear a dialling tone then dial 150 and you could end up with customer services and ask them to identify themselves.
    But I guess I would phone BT first and ask them to give you a price for connection to that address and see if that property it currently on their system.

HTH
    ____
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family