Restaurant etiquette - Portion size/When do you complain?

Options
Primrose
Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
Not sure where to post this but have any of you noticed restaurants & pubs are serving much smaller portions these days? We don't often eat out because we find cooking at home is much better value for money, but on the last two occasions we've eaten out (a pub, and our local Chinese who offer the usual Eat As Much as you Like for £xxx) the portions have been miniscule. Has anybody else noticed this? I know businesses are struggling like the rest of us as a result of the recession, but I wonder whether such practices are common-place and at what point one actually complains about it. (At the pub the portion size was so small that we were tempted to send the food back with the comment "Would you keep it hot for us while we pop back home to collect our microscope?"

Comments

• Viper_7
    Viper_7 Posts: 1,220 Forumite
    Options
    Well of course eating at home is better value for money.
    You are not paying for the chefs, the waiters, the building rent, the cleaning..etc etc etc

As for portion sizes, complain with your feet, don't go again.

If you believe you are not been offered value for money - mention it and see what they say.
    if you're not satisfied, get up and walk out without touching it.
  • beemuzed
    beemuzed Posts: 2,188 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Must admit we've not noticed this around here. My usual problem is that helpings are too generous! (Sadly my appetite is anything but small too!)
    Resolution:
    Think twice before spending anything!
  • zarazara
    zarazara Posts: 2,264 Forumite
    Options
    agood thing too. too many people are overweight or obese.
    "The purpose of Life is to spread and create Happiness" :j
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Penelope_Penguin Posts: 17,288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • wigglebeena
    wigglebeena Posts: 1,988 Forumite
    Options
    I'm skin 'n' bones and I like a good feed. McDonalds is like this, like chocolate bars their portions have steadily shrunk over the years. (Yes, if stuck for time I will eat at McDonalds, let the snark begin).

Don't go back, as has been suggested, but tell 'em why. It's not going to do anything for their profitability if they're increasing margins but losing customers.
  • Sunnyday
    Sunnyday Posts: 3,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Primrose wrote: »
    Not sure where to post this but have any of you noticed restaurants & pubs are serving much smaller portions these days? We don't often eat out because we find cooking at home is much better value for money, but on the last two occasions we've eaten out (a pub, and our local Chinese who offer the usual Eat As Much as you Like for £xxx) the portions have been miniscule. Has anybody else noticed this? I know businesses are struggling like the rest of us as a result of the recession, but I wonder whether such practices are common-place and at what point one actually complains about it. (At the pub the portion size was so small that we were tempted to send the food back with the comment "Would you keep it hot for us while we pop back home to collect our microscope?"

We had a chinese from our local takeaway a few weeks ago.
    It has always been great but when we came to unpack the food the containers were about 2/3 of the size that they have always been before.

We probably won`t bother in future, it`s a rare treat but it was so disappointing.

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
  • diable
    diable Posts: 5,258 Forumite
    Options
    Some restaurants are packing out there meals with more chips or more pasta in there lasagnes for example must be to make you feel full and keep them in profit. If you are not happy then don't go back.

The girlfriends local Chinese is pretty good as when you scoop out a plateful of noodles it still looks full.
  • floyd
    floyd Posts: 2,722 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We noticed our local Indian was doing this with rice and curries for takeaway and eat in meals so we simply stopped going there. The new place we found does better food and because we are good customers the owner always makes sure we get some aloo gobi or onion bhaji free.
  • steveo3002
    steveo3002 Posts: 2,731 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ive had a couple of lousey pub meals in the past few weeks , was also tempted to complain but didnt bother ...i simply wont return

funny how theyre prepared to send you away unimpressed over a few potatoes and a bit of veg that would fill the plate out for a few more pence
  • euterpe13
    euterpe13 Posts: 55 Forumite
    Options
    I went to an expensive restaurant in Camden recently, and was shocked and angry at the size of the portions - I was hungry and was presented with portions the sizes of snacks, at best - but at major prices: a total rip-off.
    I asked to speak with the chef, who was also the owner, but he never appeared.
    Of course will never return, but am also going to post on internet restaurant pages - suggest we all do the same when we are seriously disappointed!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure