PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Flats and Leasehold

Options
Hi all,

Im looking to buy a flat with a long lease. By long lease I mean over 110 years because until I sell it in 10+ years, I don’t want the hassle or the cost of renewing a lease. Most places that im interested in have leases of between 80 and 90 years…I know about marriage value, so I would not even consider anything below 80 years.

I cant seem to find an answer for my question….in general, how much money would I be looking at to renew a lease which currently has 85 years left on it? Im just looking at a rough figure here for a flat that is worth around £150k. Would it be hundreds? thousands? tens of thousands?

Many thanks

Comments

• petelondon
    petelondon Posts: 53 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Redbull

I wrote something in a thread a bit further down about my experience:
    cant link to it but it is a similar thread about leases.

I'm no expert but for what you are looking at, I think a few thousand , maybe around £5-6 K will cover what you need, plus another grand or so for solicitor's fees.

80 years is still just about OK,but dont leave it too long like I did lol.
  • penguine
    penguine Posts: 1,101 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There's a lease extension calculator on this website (scroll down to the bottom of the page):

www.lease-advice.org/

If you know you're going to want to extend you might be best off organising it at the same time you're purchasing a property as you never know what might happen in the ten years you're planning to own the place (the freeholder might go AWOL or something...)
  • Redbull
    Redbull Posts: 62 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the replies guys.

So when a lease is renewed...is it renewed to what it started at? i.e. If a lease started off with 99 years…and now has 85 left, can it be renewed to 125 years…or can it only be renewed back to 99 years? I know there’s the possibility of buying the share of freehold, but im guessing its probably unlikely that would work out.

Sorry, its just me not having a great understanding of leases

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family