How to protect a new laptop

in Techie Stuff
7 replies 545 views
wazzawazza Forumite
2.6K Posts
1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
Sister is taking delivery of a new Dell laptop which has Vista Home installed. I want to download free software to protect it. Do not want to use McAfee or Norton which normally comes installed on the laptop. Thinking of using the following...

Zonealarm

AVG

Spybot - search and destroy

AdAware

Spyblaster

I have been using the above on a XP home laptop for 3 years without any problems.

Will the above work perfectly with Vista Home? Do you recommend anything else?

Thanks in advance for the replies
Problem with having access to internet is that i get asked by many to solve their problems :( Well at least i learn something on the way :D

Replies

• FreeganFreegan Forumite
    45 Posts
    COMODO

They do all the security software you need for free.

Firewall, Antivirus, Email filtering, Memory Firewall and System Cleaner to name the few I remember.

Regular free updates to the virus database and the software (when needed).

They make their money from the commercial versions they produce but their philosophy is that if there are fewer infected domestic PCs around then the safer their commercial customers' PCs are.

I've been using virtually their entire freeware suite of products for a couple of years now and I've only been seriously infected once and that was down to me being inattentive.
    COMODO saved my bacon, rooting it out, quarantining it and sending it back to COMODO Labs for analysis.

Whenever I double check my system with any other reputable security product I come up squeaky clean.
  • diablediable Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    Tell her not to turn it on.
  • edited 1 July 2009 at 2:07AM
    daily_2daily_2 Forumite
    309 Posts
    edited 1 July 2009 at 2:07AM
    router
    avira or avast.
    windows firewall
    malwarebytes
    firefox with noscript, adblock plus, betterprivacy
    mvps host file.
    ccleaner and jkdefrag for maintenance.

(ZA/Spybot/adaware/comodo/avg are all bloated apps that will hit performance with little benefit)
  • pstones578pstones578 Forumite
    480 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    wazza wrote: »
    Sister is taking delivery of a new Dell laptop which has Vista Home installed. I want to download free software to protect it. Do not want to use McAfee or Norton which normally comes installed on the laptop. Thinking of using the following...

Zonealarm

AVG

Spybot - search and destroy

AdAware

Spyblaster

I have been using the above on a XP home laptop for 3 years without any problems.

Will the above work perfectly with Vista Home? Do you recommend anything else?

Thanks in advance for the replies

I'd get a hardware firewall/router and also install Firefox.
    --
    Peter Stones
  • wazzawazza Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the replies. Forgot to mention that i always use firefox.
    Problem with having access to internet is that i get asked by many to solve their problems :( Well at least i learn something on the way :D
  • dave08dave08 Forumite
    32 Posts
    Uninstall most of the bundle software they put on it. Use AVG or Avast!.

Firefox is a good choice also.
  • edited 1 July 2009 at 3:29PM
    andy2004andy2004 PPR
    1.3K Posts
    edited 1 July 2009 at 3:29PM
    i;d forget about adaware and go straight for malwarebytes personally, and some sought of image backup software to make a backup image of the boot partition. quicker recovery than reinstalling.
    something you can use once a week.

list of the freeones here http://www.thefreecountry.com/utilities/backupandimage.shtml
    DriveImage XML is probably the best one in the list though i have never use it myself,
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 in bonus points

MSE News

Ask an Expert: Scams

Watch MSE Katie's answers to your questions

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals