Lump under rabbits chin..

Options
We have just put the rabbit in for the night and dd noticed a lump under his chin, i have just gone out and it is roughly the size of a golf ball..he wont let us touch it and im not going to try incase he bites one of us!
Going to get him booked in at the vets in morning but does anyone have nay idea what it could be? what's the worst case scenario with vets fees as we dont have him insured?
Thanks

Comments

• *onlyme*
    *onlyme* Posts: 947 Forumite
    Options
    I suggest you have a feel of the 'lump'

If the "lump" is soft, pliable and symmetrical it's likely to be the dewlap: a fold of skin (and sometimes fat) that often develops under their chin.
  • gabyjane
    gabyjane Posts: 3,541 Forumite
    Options
    Hi thanks for the reply..he is usually quite a touchy feely bunny but he is quite jumpy to touch tonight which is odd, tried touching the lump but he is not having any of it and i dont want biting! i really dont think it is a piece of skin as such as is very noticable..
    If anyone else has had this please reply so we can sleep better before the morning!
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Could be a horsefly type bite - could be a growth. My rabbit had both during her rather long and happy life. There is no way of telling you which it is. Only a vet can do that. Sorry but we are not qualified to help you sleep easy - wish I could, but we can't.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • gabyjane
    Options
    Thanks for the reply..i know no one has the answer really just wondered if anyone had come across it with their bunny..i will update after vets tommorow..thanks again x
  • foreign_correspondent
    Options
    they are quite prone to abcesses - if it is one, its easily sorted - vet will probably lance it and clean it up.
    good luck
  • snowman2_2
    snowman2_2 Posts: 753 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds like an abscess. Tricky little things to treat, see your vet in the morning
  • gabyjane
    Options
    So to the 2 above posts possibly tricky or easy? does anyone know roughly what sort of costs it may amount to? as a ball park figure?
    We have him booked in tommorow afternoon as earliest space.
    Thanks...
  • clutterydrawer
    Options
    Sounds likely to be an abcess, rabbits are prone to them especially under the jaw.

I disagre that they are easy to treat though, they are persistent and dangerous. The initial treatment would be to surgically remove it but it's hard to take out all the infectious material so they often recur. They can also "seed" to elswhere in the body :(

My rabbit passed away today from an abcess she had been battling for nearly three years. she had a good quality of life but eventually the infection spread to the bone and it was too much for her.

anyway there's no guarantee that your bun has an abcess so hopefully it is something simpler :) hope he's ok.
    August grocery challenge: £50
    Spent so far: £37.40 :A
  • gabyjane
    Options
    Hi, well it was an absess and he is booked in to be operated on, on monday. We are really concerned as what if it comes back..will it be bad luck? will it be a re occuring thing? seeing as he is so young how long do we let it go on for? any insurance we take out now is pointless as he already has this condition.
    Any ideas please..really worried.
  • *onlyme*
    *onlyme* Posts: 947 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds likely to be an abcess, rabbits are prone to them especially under the jaw.

I disagre that they are easy to treat though, they are persistent and dangerous. The initial treatment would be to surgically remove it but it's hard to take out all the infectious material so they often recur. They can also "seed" to elswhere in the body :(

My rabbit passed away today from an abcess she had been battling for nearly three years. she had a good quality of life but eventually the infection spread to the bone and it was too much for her.

anyway there's no guarantee that your bun has an abcess so hopefully it is something simpler :) hope he's ok.

Sorry to go of topic but I just wanted to say that I am sorry to hear about the loss of your rabbit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure