Things to do in Auckland

Options
hi guys,

I am off to New Zealand and Australia mid July on business, andi will have 2 days 'free' in Auckland.

I am thinking of hiring a car and driving out to wine country, although i wont be able to drink that much!

does anyone else have any ideas for a couple of days, rather than sat drinking duty free, missing home?

Ash

Comments

• olias
    olias Posts: 3,588 Forumite
    Options
    http://www.aucklandnz.com/index.php/landing_A/?L1=63

or

http://www.aucklandnz.com/index.php/content_B/?L1=63&L2=75&L3=&id=1436

Don't forget the weather. It will be mid winter in Auckland - You may be lucky and get a sunny few days, but might easily get none stop rain!

Olias
  • scottish_lassy
    Options
    :rotfl:
  • blue_haddock
    blue_haddock Posts: 12,110 Forumite
    Options
    Rather than heading out of the city i'd stay in it and explore it.

Take a ferry to one of the islands in the bay of auckland and take a stroll and enjoy the beuaty of the area.
  • neilbond007
    neilbond007 Posts: 2,111 Forumite
    Options
    Went south to Rotarua once. Place stinks (sulphur) but is pretty cool.
    Also went north to bay of islands. Not a lot to do there. Went on a 100km/h boat that was good fun. Just wasn't worth the 3 hour drive.
    Friends went abseiling off the sky tower. That looked pretty cool!

But have to say most of the time I was there (on business, twice) was spent around the viaduct in the "loaded hog" and various other water holes
  • ahall41116
    ahall41116 Posts: 211 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions

Any other watering hole recommendations?

Ash
  • povemeister
    povemeister Posts: 70 Forumite
    Options
    I currently live in Auckland, have been here for the last year nearly.

I'd probably stay in and around the city to be honest. They're wont be much going on outside the city and it'll be deserted because is its obviously winter and pretty cold here at the moment.

Waitomo caves is ok, if you like looking at worms etc, not everyones cup of tea and its a bit overpriced at around £40 entrance fee too.

I'd definitely recommend a trip to the top of Mount Eden, which is a 10 min bus ride or drive from city centre or 45 mins walk. You get spectacluar views of all over auckland and even as far as both the east coast (coromandel peninsula) and west coast (waitakere ranges) on a clear day. This is free btw.

Secondly, if your interested in seeing some of the local wildlife, a trip to the Auckland Zoo is worth a visit. They've got kiwi's and everthing and is very reasonably priced at around £6. This is 15mins drive from city centre in a place called St Lukes.

If your a keen gardener then, check out the botanical gardens in Manukau, 30mins drive south.

Or for some stunning scenery/deserted beaches and a scenic drive through all sorts of jungle style forests, you could drive up towards kumeu out west (where all the wineries are) and then carry on round the scenic drive, calling in at Piha beach (Nz's top Surf beach and absolutely stunning scenery). I'd allow about 6 hours or so for this.

Lastly, best drinking spot would be down at the Viaduct / Princes Wharf, lots of cafe's/restaurants/bars/pubs which turn into nightclubs late on. One of my favourites and my local would be the lenin bar which i happen to live just above btw!

Hope all this helps, any questions let me know!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure