Salary reduction without notice

Options
I agreed to a reduction in salary to help out the small company I work for. However, I initially agreed to a specific salary (verbally on both parts). Then I received a letter telling me it was actually less which I verbally agreed to (I know. Idiot). Then we agreed a date from which it would start. And they've made it one month earlier without telling me. What are my rights?

Comments

• Pee
    Pee Posts: 3,826 Forumite
    Options
    Speak to ACAS.

Sounds to me like you have been very reasonable and they have taken the ****. I don't suppose there is much that you can do about it at the moment, but remember these actions when there are plenty of jobs around...
  • DCodd
    DCodd Posts: 8,187 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree, speak to ACAS, Without your WRITTEN permission any deduction from wages (excluding contractually agreed deductions) is an unauthorised deduction as they have broken the verbal agreement with you!
    Always get a Qualified opinion - My qualifications are that I am OLD and GRUMPY:p:p
  • jazzyman01
    jazzyman01 Posts: 754 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

At this time your agreement was verbal.

Not sure how long ago you received the letter advising you of the Company's version of events, but you need to respond to them quickly.

May I suggest that you write a letter to them including the following:

I refer to you letter of xxx regarding our conversation on xxx. My recollection of the conversation is that I agreed to a reduction of xxx to my salary effective xxx in order to help the business in the current climate.

I do not accept the additional reduction in my salary or to it being implemented a month early.

In addition, I would like to state that I have only agreed to this temporarily because of the Company's current situation. It is also conditional on my current salary being used for any redundancy calculation if, for some reason, my position is placed at risk of redundancy whilst I am working on the reduced salary.
  • Judith_W
    Judith_W Posts: 754 Forumite
    Options
    I reckon that unless they have something on paper signed agreeing to the reduction they are trying to apply, they can't do that surely
  • jazzyman01
    jazzyman01 Posts: 754 Forumite
    Options
    Unlawful deductions under the wages act.

Have you now sorted out your problem?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport