My current gas provider is objecting to me switching!

Options
riogol
riogol Posts: 1 Newbie
We moved lat July to an old property that had newly been converted to 4 separate houses, with new gas meters.
While we were duely sent a new electricity bill, to the Occupier, we have never received a gas bill. We use the gas on a regular basis for heating, cooking and hot water.
Despite numberous attempts to find out who the supplier is (including several calls to Transco), we have come up against a brick wall.
Back in Sept I contacted British Gas to ask them to take on the supply, in the hope they would be able to action something. No problem, they said. 2 months later I got a letter saying they were sorry that I'd decided to cancel my application to use their service... I had made no such instruction! I was very busy at the time, and forgot about it, thinking at some point the supplier would send a bill.
A month ago I contacted EDF (our electricity supplier), explained the problem, and asked if they'd take it on. They managed to find out who our supplier was, but said it was against their policy to tell me who it was!! Oh well, I thought, as long as you can get through and we can start paying for the gas (I'm paranoid at some point we'll have a problem or get cut off, or have the bailiffs round, without knowing who the supplier is!!).
I've just had a letter from EDF saying that our current supplier (no mention who that is) is objecting to EDF taking on the supply and that I have to contact the supplier to ask them why!
I find this extraordinary!
Now, I'm wondering, am I going to be send a huge bill for the last year, from a supplier that has never made themselves known, who has never sent me a list of their rates and charges, and are refusing me the right to choose my supplier? Is that legal, and as we have had no choice or notice of their rates, can they spring whatever they fancy on us?
Any help, advice really welcome.

Comments

• miniemma
    miniemma Posts: 505 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Keep all correspondence and a list of any telephone calls you have made with regard to this issue. This may be used as evidence once 'someone' decides who is supplying you and may buy you some time to pay what you owe.

Start a savings account and add what you think you should be paying monthly for your gas.
  • Vestra
    Vestra Posts: 856 Forumite
    Options
    You do have a supplier, national grid 0870 608 1524 should be able to tell you, or if it is an IGT you will have to call the gas transporter.
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    riogol wrote: »
    ...I've just had a letter from EDF saying that our current supplier (no mention who that is) is objecting to EDF taking on the supply and that I have to contact the supplier to ask them why!
    I find this extraordinary!
    Now, I'm wondering, am I going to be send a huge bill for the last year, from a supplier that has never made themselves known, who has never sent me a list of their rates and charges, and are refusing me the right to choose my supplier? Is that legal, and as we have had no choice or notice of their rates, can they spring whatever they fancy on us?
    Any help, advice really welcome.

Your supplier is probably refusing to allow a transfer out because you owe them money for the gas you have consumed.

It's not up to the supplier to find out who is using their gas - it's up to the consumer to contact the supplier!

When you contact them, expect a bill for the gas you have consumed. By using the supply you form a deemed contract. The supplier does not have to supply you with a list of rates and charges for a deemed contract to exist. They will probably have put you on their standard tariff, which may not be their cheapest for you, for the period between the start of the deemed contract and the date you contact them.

Once you have made contact with the existing supplier and paid what you owe them, then you can request a switch in supplier if you wish.

Follow Vestra's advice to establish your supplier at present.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • Bobby75_2
    Bobby75_2 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    We had any issue with Powergen who actually contacted our current gas suppliers (british gas) on our behalf saying that we wanted to switch to them!! Only found out when british gas sent us a final bill saying that they were sorry to hear that we were leaving! Surely there's some kind of law-breaking going on....
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Bobby75 wrote: »
    We had any issue with Powergen who actually contacted our current gas suppliers (british gas) on our behalf saying that we wanted to switch to them!! Only found out when british gas sent us a final bill saying that they were sorry to hear that we were leaving! Surely there's some kind of law-breaking going on....

Quite common occurance it would appear - an erroneous transfer.

Not necessarily law breaking - but a mistake.

For example a wrong meter number entered on a genuine transfer request - by the customer or at Powergen.

Of course it could be a rogue salesman either 'conning' you into signing an agreement, or even forging your signature on an agreement - but normally they would need sight of your meter or bill to get the serial number.
  • Bobby75_2
    Bobby75_2 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Guess it must have been an 'admin' error as we never spoke to them or anyone else regarding switching.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure