We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Which nematode for cabbage root maggot?

Options
JenFeet
JenFeet Posts: 23 Forumite
Hello there.

Please does anybody have any experience with beneficial nematodes for cabbage root maggot / grubs? Gutted this evening when I pulled up a sprouting broccoli which was looking unwell and there was maggots all over the root (or what was left of the root).

I checked 3 other plants in the bed and they were all eaten away too. So disappointed as there are approx 12 established plants in the bed which I fear will all have to be destroyed now. I also have a further 15 or so much, much younger plants in the same bed and don't want to lose them too.

I read about nematodes and think they're the answer but I can't get my head around which ones to go for? It's not particularly clear I don't think? They all seem to be 'nemaslug' type products but none are mentioning cabbage root maggot.

I'd be grateful if anybody has any experience with these things - I've never grown anything before and have been loving it. Tonight I am just sad that my crop have all been decimated and worried about the tatties and onions in the beds nearby too.

Thanks a lot.
Jen x

Comments

• jabba4
    jabba4 Posts: 221 Forumite
    Options
    It's too late for your crop now. Just clear the ground and don't grow cabbages or other brassicas there for a couple of growing seasons.

Cabbage root fly don't bother other crops (other than brassicas) so don't worry about your spuds.

You should have used some kind of collar around the stem at the base of the plant when you planted them. This stops the cabbage root fly larvae from crawling down to the roots.

Don't forget you can still eat any leaves though.
  • rhiwfield
    rhiwfield Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    Options
    Jabba's right, cabbage root fly will attack any member of the brassica family and prevention is the only way. Now that they are in the soil its too late to put up a barrier (either fine mesh netting or stem base collars, usually hand made from roofing felt, we use old rubber car mats cut up into 6" squares).

As jabba said you can eat the leaves still but odds on most of your crop will not grow well. I dont think there is a commercial nematode for cabbage root fly :(

The good news is that this fly only attacks brassicas, so your tatties and onions are safe frrom them :)
  • JenFeet
    JenFeet Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks very much - not good news but at least I won't waste time / money / energy trying to sort it out.

I've got another bed about 10 foot away with new seedling brassicas - do you think it's worth putting collars on them now? I did read that seedlings now wouldn't be at as much threat as the earlier sown ones. I'd be grateful again for your advice.

Some of the broccoli, cauli and sprout plants in the original bed are still looking really healthy - do you think I should leave them to see how they get on or just clear the lot of them?

Thanks again.
    Jennie
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family