POwer socket and lights on same switch

Options
2»

Comments

• fto
    fto Posts: 588 Forumite
    Options
    Are you sure you are not swithching off a fused outlet.
    It is posible to having lighting off the "sockets" if you use a fused outlet .
  • Alias_Omega
    Alias_Omega Posts: 7,912 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Take a picture, and post it up for us to see..

A picture paints a 1000 words..

I was thinking it was some form of 20A DP switch, which then controls the socket.
  • Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Apologies to the last two posters
    I have no idea what a fused outlet is.
    Wat is a 20A DP?

My socket really does just look like an ordinary extention cable that's been run from the lights.
  • clairehi
    clairehi Posts: 1,352 Forumite
    Options
    Why dont you jsy ask the landlord to get an electrician in as has been suggested by myself and others?

I dont mean to be rude to you or the earlier posters, but it should be obvious from your first post you dont have any knowledge so it is irresponsible of them to suggest you DIY it. and as a tenant, you don't have to.
  • Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm going to go and talk with the lanlord.

I just wanted to know if I had any rights in this issue, or have to lump it ( previous bad experiences with another landlord).

I just don't understand why some landlords are absolute """"""""""""", whilst others are absolutely fine and want to keep things tickety-boo. I don't know how this one is going to go, as it is my first 'issue' here.

I just want a socket that doesn't electrocute me/ ruin my equipment/ burn down the house.
  • AdrianW2
    AdrianW2 Posts: 416 Forumite
    Options
    clairehi wrote: »
    it is irresponsible of them to suggest you DIY it.

Whilst there are those that consider education irresponsible (Pol Pot is the most obvious that comes to mind) I'm not sure that I agree.

To the OP - by all means contact your landlord but bear in mind that there is nothing inherently wrong in the situation you describe and that he/she is under no obligation to get a Part P registered electrician in.
  • brig001
    brig001 Posts: 389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Get this checked. Sockets should be connected to an RCD, lighting circuits are not. The cable will be fine, the socket will be fine, you might not be, because lighting circuits do not always have the same electric shock protection as sockets (depending on the age of the installation).
  • AdrianW2
    AdrianW2 Posts: 416 Forumite
    Options
    brig001 wrote: »
    Get this checked. Sockets should be connected to an RCD, lighting circuits are not. The cable will be fine, the socket will be fine, you might not be, because lighting circuits do not always have the same electric shock protection as sockets (depending on the age of the installation).

This is just meaningless. A 17th ed. installation will probably have everything on RCDs, previous versions may have similar protection or no RCD protection at all. You can't tell anything about the RCD protection from the information given.
  • brig001
    brig001 Posts: 389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    AdrianW2, you are correct which is why I suggested that they get it checked. If it is 15th edition, it will (probably) be split load consumer unit with an RCD for the sockets only, but as you say, we can't tell. Since this is in a garage and could be used with power tools and lawn mowers etc. I thought it the best advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure