Trying to find forgottent bank accounts

Hi everyone.

I am the only surviving relative of my uncle, a widower who is 84 years old, and is suffering from dementia. He is being moved to sheltered housing next month.

After speaking with his Social Worker, it was decided that I should take over my uncle's financial affairs in order to sort out any future debts/charges etc. as he is no longer in a fit mental state to do so himself, although psysically he is in great condition.

A couple of weeks ago I learned that he has up to 4 bank accounts, with various amounts of savings in them, however he has no idea which banks these savings are in, or where any of his savings books are. I assume the account information has been lost/mislaid during the 2 house moves he has made in the last three years. A weeks searching for any account details, receipts, statement has proved futile. Apparently it has been up to 10 years since he accessed any of the accounts. His only current income is his pension, which is paid into a Post Office account.

My question is; how do I find out which banks he may have accounts at? Is it a case of just having to call every bank I can think of and asking if they have an account associated with my uncle's name/address? Would that basic info be given to me? Are there any other ways to find out if a person has a bank account, and if so, where?

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Comyface
    Comyface Posts: 669 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I don't think there's any other way of doing it other than asking the individual banks. You'll be unlikely to find anything out over the phone, though, due to the Data Protection Act.

You could write to them with a copy of the Power of Attorney/Court of Protection documents (I'd say you'll need to get one of these, if you haven't already) or call in (again with POA or COP) and they will be able to tell you.
    Are the words 'I have a cunning plan' marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation? :cool:
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,784 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    This site (run by the British Bankers Association) has been set up to help you find lost or forgotten accounts

http://www.mylostaccount.org.uk/

However, I'm not sure (in fact, I hope they don't) let you search for accounts for other living people without that persons permission - as you say your uncle is no longer mentally capable, I guess that will have to be some sort of Power Of Attorney or similar which hopefully the social worker will help you to sort out.
  • MarieJB
    MarieJB Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Many thanks for the help and quick response guys :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure