Fixing a slipped roof tile?

Options
Hi
One of my roof tiles has become dislodged during the recent storm and is currently sitting in one piece in my guttering. I have been ringing roofers who have quoted hundreds of pounds to fix as it involves using tower scaffolding to fit with H&S regs. One of the roofers suggsted I find a man with a van who does not have to conform to H&S - however some of the ones I have rung do not have a roof ladder. Who is the best tradesman to contact to fix a single tile which I have been told (and know) is a 10-15 min job. I was thinking I would have to pay about £50 if only I knew who would do it! Thanks

Comments

• Antispam
    Antispam Posts: 6,636 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Dead easy to do, but we just did the ones that were at bottom or roof, tiles were very cheap about 10 for less than a fiver and easy to fit they just slid under one above and they had a groove in them and locks onto the woodern struts
  • olias
    olias Posts: 3,588 Forumite
    Options
    goldbyron, I think you have answered your own question. Ring round a few handymen, explain the job and check they have a roof ladder. Even try a few small 'one man band' builders. With the long evenings, this is easily the sort of job any competent bloke with the right ladders can do on the way home IYSWIM

Olias
  • Nilrem
    Nilrem Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Even a half decent window cleaner will probably be more than willing to do it cheaply as they've normally got the ladders already and it's an easy extra tenner or whatever (my current window cleaner will happily do it if asked, my dad when he worked as a window cleaner did it frequently and still does for neighbours etc).
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Does'nt your house insurance cover you for storm damage ?
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • goldbyron
    goldbyron Posts: 790 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for this - trying to hunt for one now. As for insurance - it is a ridiculous £750 excess for storm damage! And its arranged through a freeholder so not much control there. Bring on the time when I buy a house with a decent roof and insurance!
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Some of these excess figures just lead to builders charging more than they would have done.
    I've had a roofer say to me in the 'how much excess', then give me a written quote to send off to the insurance, which was the real price for the job but inflated by the excess and a bit more for the trouble.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • knowloads
    knowloads Posts: 368 Forumite
    Options
    Gawd,,,,,, if its slid down it is probably in half. 1) Where are you?
    2) Is the tile flat or shaped, and concrete or clay. 3) They only take 2 mins to put back if its not broken, otherwise, 4) trip to you, trip to buy new one, back to you, £50 will cover fuel these days. Do not send anyone on your roof that is not experienced... they fall, they sue you.
  • goldbyron
    goldbyron Posts: 790 Forumite
    Options
    It is in one piece as it was caught in the guttering (which is where it is now!). I also have spares anyway. It is a concrete shaped tile. A man (recommended through my plumber) has said he will come this afternoon while I am at work (there is side access) although I have a gut feeling he may not show. Lets just hope so otherwise it is back to square one ringing all and sundry to fix one tile! Damn that storm.
  • tuggy12
    tuggy12 Posts: 1,314 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Is your roof felted?

If not, you may be able to slip the tile back from inside your loft space.

My 1936 house has no roofing felt, the tiles are internally pointed (torching I believe is the correct term) and the tiles are very easy to replace from the inside.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,546 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    My local roofer pointed areas of my roof ridge last year and reset a couple of lose tiles. £80 - he's a man with a van, some ladders and does an excellent job.

Look in your local free paper.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport