New Kitchen - Microwave advice needed

Options
Hi all,

Have searched the forum but not found an answer. A quick question for you all. Have chosen to get my new kitchen from Ikea (after lots of quote designs etc from many places).

We have a slight issue within our that in order to have a built in mircowave and freezer we would have to have the microwave (probably a combi with grill etc) over the freezer built in. Before anyone suggests having a fridge freezer combi, we do not have the height for that due to annoying steps from downstairs flat.

My question is (which the kitchen fitter as well as the guy at magnet said was ok) whether we it is safe and sensible to have the mircowave sitting above the freezer?

Cheers

Simon

Comments

• Meepster
    Meepster Posts: 5,955 Forumite
    Options
    Yup, perfectly fine to have MW above a freezer. Just make sure you have plenty of ventilation above the MW...
    If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands

• Jamjaw
    Jamjaw Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    When you say above do you mean behind and above or directly above? We were going to go for a fitten cupboard directly above...
  • Meepster
    Options
    Jamjaw wrote: »
    When you say above do you mean behind and above or directly above? We were going to go for a fitten cupboard directly above...

Well, the fascia for the microwave should give around 25-45mm gap directly above the MW. The extra ventilation you should provide should be behind and above...
    If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands

• Jamjaw
    Options
    Wonderful! Thanks very much for your help, confirms what I had been told, wanted to check as you can never trust a salesperson!
    :T
  • Meepster
    Options
    Oi, watch it, I am a salesperson :D

• Jamjaw
    Options
    Yes... but not trying to sell to me! I just don't trust salesmen when all they seem to want is the sale and not really care about what will or won't work!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure