We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

The Silent Phone Agony - Anybody Suffering It?

Options
Is there anybody here unemployed and suffering THE SILENT PHONE SYNDROME, day in and day out? You no doubt know what I mean: you are desperate for a job, and after applying for numerous vacancies online, you hope that at least SOME employer or agency will ring you up.

But you wait . . . and you wait . . . and you wait . . . but NOTHING. The phone stays silent, and yet another soul-destroying, demoralising day ends with you being stuck in a rut that you begin to fear, more and more, that you will NEVER get out of!

The Silent Phone Syndrome is the WORST feeling in the world.

Comments

• LinasPilibaitisisbatman
    Options
    Yawn

Your threads are getting tedious.

How about doing some of the stuff thats been suggested to you countless times over instead of ignoring it, claiming your CV etc is fine and moaning why you dont have a job.

You dont have a job because of an issue in either your CV/Experience or Skills. You need to find this and solve it.
  • Radish72
    Radish72 Posts: 2,074 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Truegho

Don't despair, although I have a job I can imagine how frustrating it must be for you from when I trying to get a job after uni

But be proactive ring them (can you ring form the job centre so that the calls are free) even if its just to ask them have they received your application,

Good luck :beer:
    Mortgage Aug 12 £165K, Aug 19 £0
    ISA challenge start 2019 £3000/£1500 (50%)
  • Truegho
    Truegho Posts: 832 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Radish

Many thanks for your kind reply to my post about the Silent Phone Agony.

It is a great comfort to know that there are still SOME people here who sympathise with my depressing problem!

Radish72 wrote: »
    Hi Truegho

Don't despair, although I have a job I can imagine how frustrating it must be for you from when I trying to get a job after uni

But be proactive ring them (can you ring form the job centre so that the calls are free) even if its just to ask them have they received your application,

Good luck :beer:
  • Radish72
    Radish72 Posts: 2,074 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No problem

I did read the other post.

How long have you been unemployed for and what have you done today to change the situation
    Mortgage Aug 12 £165K, Aug 19 £0
    ISA challenge start 2019 £3000/£1500 (50%)
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    Are you going to post the same thing every week OP?

It would be courteous to other MSEers not to start multiple threads on exactly the same thing.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Truegho
    Truegho Posts: 832 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Been unemployed for some months now. I send off my CV EVERY day to various jobsites, employers, agencies etc. But it is always the same old depressing story: NO REPLY.

It is another Monday, and no doubt the start of another depressing week of doing exactly the same thing and getting nowhere. I am fed up with life in this country.

What the hell has gone wrong with the employment situation? It is the WORST I have ever experienced. I thought the eighties was bad, but THIS!

Radish72 wrote: »
    No problem

I did read the other post.

How long have you been unemployed for and what have you done today to change the situation
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Truegho wrote: »
    Been unemployed for some months now. I send off my CV EVERY day to various jobsites, employers, agencies etc. But it is always the same old depressing story: NO REPLY.

It is another Monday, and no doubt the start of another depressing week of doing exactly the same thing and getting nowhere. I am fed up with life in this country.

What the hell has gone wrong with the employment situation? It is the WORST I have ever experienced. I thought the eighties was bad, but THIS!

I believe that we are in the worst period in recent history. The simple fact is, that there are not enough jobs to go around, and with more companies going under every week, the "domino" effect is gathering pace.
    I suffer from "Silent phone syndrome" as well, and this does not mean that my phone is not in use, it is just that none of the agencies or prospective employers are bothering to phone back. I cannot get in touch with my contacts at agencies most of the time, because they seem to be in "Meetings", which may be another way of saying "Don't call us, we will call you".
    I have received only one reply form over 200 applications since last November, and that is only because I phoned some time after the closing date.
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yawn

Your threads are getting tedious.

How about doing some of the stuff thats been suggested to you countless times over instead of ignoring it, claiming your CV etc is fine and moaning why you dont have a job.

You dont have a job because of an issue in either your CV/Experience or Skills. You need to find this and solve it.

Do you think this could be taken as a very arrogant reply? The poster is obviously very worried about their situation (as I am about mine, along with millions of others), and all you can do is call them "Tedious", and tell them that they have a problem with their "CV/Experience or Skills".
    I think that a little consideration and thought before posting might be in order next time.
  • vegankris
    vegankris Posts: 585 Forumite
    Options

Or maybe it could be that his CV etc is absolutely fine but the problem is just that there aren't many jobs out there?

I hope your phone starts ringing soon Truegho!
    Owing to financial constraints, the light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off until further notice. :(

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!!!:cool:
  • teabelly
    teabelly Posts: 1,229 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    You can't do the same thing everyday and expect different results. It seems applying for advertised jobs and sending your cv off isn't bearing fruit. Do something different.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure