We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Pond Fish Help Please

Options
Wkdwill
Wkdwill Posts: 825 Forumite
Hi, ive come here for a bit of advice for my mum.

She has a pond in her garden and last Monday all was fine, fish swimming about, eating food fine etc but then on Friday the water in the pond had changed to a yellow colour and all the fish have just stopped still and all have like red sores on them some have even died.

She has had the pond for about 15 years and never had a problem with it, it looks as though the fish are just waiting to die and its every single fish not just a few.

She has every intention to remove the pond once the fish have died but would just like some advice as to what this may be as her next door neighbour has a pond also and she would just like to advise her on the issue so she is prepared incase her fish start.

I dont know if its worth mentioning but her street has developed a rat problem (due to a neighbour throwing out scraps) and they have been using my mums garden as a path, there tracks are running by the pond. Also a lot of cats on the street tend to drink out of her pond.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• jetpacker
    Options
    It sounds like the pond water's PH level has become too acidic. This would explain the yellowing colour, and the spots. I suggest checking the PH level. If too acidic you can use pond salts to recover the level to an optimal 6/7 value.
  • wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Options
    OP was in June , fish have died or survived :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business