Cockroaches .....

Options
I live in a council block of flats i know there is a cockroach infestation ... :eek: ... i saw and terminated 5 babys and a adult on Thursday night they were in my living room i think living under the carpet, so i called environmental health and they sent a pest control guy out Saturday morning, he put down a few blobs of what looks like while gel in the kitchen, bathroom, and 2 blobs under my carpet in the living room.

Now its Sunday night, tonight alone i have saw and slaughtered 5 babys and a juvenile in the living room, and a further juvenile in the kitchen :mad:

Can someone tell me how long that white gel takes to start being effective?

And is there actually a decent roach killer on the market what works?

In any case i am going back to the council and telling them i still have the infestation there, does anyone know if the whole block of flats should by law be treated? Can i request they exterminate the entire nest?

This is not just my flat i have spoke to neighbors and they get them too, i am on the ground floor and i spoke to 2 women on the top floor 15 floors up and they get them too, its a real bad infestation then? :confused:

Any info appreciated, thanks.
Owed out = lots. :cool:

Comments

• loobyloo2
    loobyloo2 Posts: 348 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    The problem with a block of flats is getting all the properties treated. Some neighbours may be willing to have a visit from pest control, but it is a logistical nightmare to gain entry into each property within a short period of time, therefore as one property is dealt with, another is not, they breed, and re enter your home.
    It can be done however, but won't happen immediately, so you just have to hope that whatever was 'put down', will do the job temporarily for you.
    The best treatment for cockroaches is a 'gel' which contains pheromones, they are highly attracted to it. Unfortunately I dont think even the council pest man uses this as it is fantastically expensive. Just a couple of dots of the stuff around your home does the job.
    Just try to keep on top of them for now. Clean, clean ,clean, epecially the kitchen, don't give them a food source, no crumbs left on the worktops, all food put away carefully etc.
    You can find many products in the shops that claim to eradicte them, however, as you are in a block of flats, this would not be an effective method, and therefore, you would be weasting yor time and money.

Favourite haunts for cockroaches

Behind the boiler
    Behind the frige/freezer
    Underneath cookers (plentiful food supply, so clean requently)
  • Widelats
    Widelats Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Options
    loobyloo2 wrote: »
    The problem with a block of flats is getting all the properties treated. Some neighbours may be willing to have a visit from pest control, but it is a logistical nightmare to gain entry into each property within a short period of time, therefore as one property is dealt with, another is not, they breed, and re enter your home.
    It can be done however, but won't happen immediately, so you just have to hope that whatever was 'put down', will do the job temporarily for you.
    The best treatment for cockroaches is a 'gel' which contains pheromones, they are highly attracted to it. Unfortunately I dont think even the council pest man uses this as it is fantastically expensive. Just a couple of dots of the stuff around your home does the job.
    Just try to keep on top of them for now. Clean, clean ,clean, epecially the kitchen, don't give them a food source, no crumbs left on the worktops, all food put away carefully etc.
    You can find many products in the shops that claim to eradicte them, however, as you are in a block of flats, this would not be an effective method, and therefore, you would be weasting yor time and money.

Favourite haunts for cockroaches

Behind the boiler
    Behind the frige/freezer
    Underneath cookers (plentiful food supply, so clean requently)

Thanks, i will give it a couple of days then and see what happens. The stuff he put down was in small blobs about 5 mm diameter, he said 1 milligram of it is enough to kill 12 or so cockroaches, i hope it works!
  • loobyloo2
    loobyloo2 Posts: 348 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Next time you know they are coming out(pest control,not cockroaches), ask them if they can use Goliath gel, this is the best on the market.
  • Widelats
    Options
    loobyloo2 wrote: »
    Next time you know they are coming out(pest control,not cockroaches), ask them if they can use Goliath gel, this is the best on the market.

Will do, i expect to see them again in 12 weeks at the latest. :beer:
  • Widelats
    Options
    Just sanitized as much as possible of my flat and moved the air freshener i use in the bathroom and there was a black mass inside - ROACHES!!! They were eating the freshener gel inside the plastic, my God they would eat anything if they were living in there, so i reckon whatever nest they have had in my flat the main group will be gone, i hope now that the gel he put down does the rest :)

Looks like success.
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I hate Roaches, we had them in our house when we were children, it literally took a house fire to get rid of them (nesting in the boiler), I have memories of using boiling water to kill them as a kid, as it was all I could do to zap em (I hated turning on a light to see thousands of em scupper)

If the nest isn't localised to your flat, I advise making the flat as tempt less as possible. Cereals, Rice in plastic containers, Bread stored in the fridge, render a SPOTLESS house including under or behind units n fridges, they like to stay near an easy supply of food, of course as they eat anything from dead flies to newspaper, its inevitably and endless task.

Good luck OP.
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • Widelats
    Options
    marleyboy wrote: »
    I hate Roaches, we had them in our house when we were children, it literally took a house fire to get rid of them (nesting in the boiler), I have memories of using boiling water to kill them as a kid, as it was all I could do to zap em (I hated turning on a light to see thousands of em scupper)

If the nest isn't localised to your flat, I advise making the flat as tempt less as possible. Cereals, Rice in plastic containers, Bread stored in the fridge, render a SPOTLESS house including under or behind units n fridges, they like to stay near an easy supply of food, of course as they eat anything from dead flies to newspaper, its inevitably and endless task.

Good luck OP.

That would have been awful in your old house, living nightmare i would of rather slept outside in a tent or caravan.

Its not local to my flat no, i have got rid of the ones who were trying to nest in my bathroom (i think) i asked a few more people today in the block and ALL have the roaches they all told me what you told me, don't leave any thing on the floor like boxes what they can convert to motels, i do keep my flat clean i always clean work surfaces and hoover up, my food is n plastic boxes, seems i did not check the air freshener in the bathroom i never thought they would be nesting there - but they were!

Cheers mate, hopefully the main lot in my flat will now be gone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport