Outside electric box

Options
This box on the outside of our house has been bugging me for ages, so today i did some digging...

on the outside, i opened up the box to find a twin and earth cable runing into it, terminated in a screw terminal (choc-box??). The cable is 100% live with 240v!

After initial thoughts and measurments, I first thought it was coming from a spur from a socket in the living room as the outside box is directly above that socket. Removed the socket from the wall and no - thats a spur off another socket!

ok - some more measurments and my attention turned to the back bedroom. Now - this is where it becomes interesting. The wardrobe that backs onto the outside wall has a backing so you can not see the wall which i suspect has a socket which is feeding the outside box. On the side of the wardrobe there is a socket - its not original and runs into the back of the waredrobe, again makes me suspect there is a socket behind there feeding that Only thing is - i am not sure if the outside box is fuse protected (well it is as it will be on the ring fuse but i would be happier with a switch and its own 13amp fuse) so i am reluctant from doing anything

there is a socket next to the wardrobe on an internal wall to the right, there is a socket - i removed it and found there are 3 pairs of cable, indicating that there is a spur coming of that socket as well as it been connected to the socket ring. a wild stab in the dark here but i am sure its going to the socket behind the waredrobe.

Without disconnecting the suspected spur on the internal right wall and testing - this is a bit of an unknown at the moment - i have some computer equipment running at the moment so am a bit lothed to turn the power off just yet to do some testing!

What would be the most appropriate method of testing this. I thought about killing the power completly at the fuse box (pulling all the fuses AND killing the main 80amp RCD) then testing the cables using a 9v battery and a multi meter to see if I can identify if the socket on the internal stud wall is supplying the socket behind the wardobe and the outside wall - if thats the case i can just fit a fused switch there and just be mindfull that the socket next to the wardrobe thats running to the socket behind it is on there....

only other way is to start cutting holes in the wardrobe to locate the socket behind it and see how its wired... ive already taken the bottom plinth of the waredrobe off and cant see anything under there...

here is a diagram of the suspected wiring (not confirmed as required testing) to see what i am getting at...

wiring.GIF

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family