washing machine warranty

Options
My washing machine has packed in after 1.5 years. What can I say to them if they claim it is out of manufacturers warranty?

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,666 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 28 June 2009 at 8:10PM
    Options
    Quote Sale of Goods Act and/or the EU Law shown here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1187190/EU-law-gives-consumers-year-guarantee-goods-kept-secret-retailers.html

HTH, you have at least 2 years according to EU Law (and up to six years under SOGA, I believe). Personally I think the EU Law may be easiest to quote in this instance.

Maybe print off a copy of the article. Don't say anything about a 'warranty' unless they do (maybe you are covered under it anyway, depends on the make/model/retailer?).
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • leveller2911
    leveller2911 Posts: 8,061 Forumite
    edited 28 June 2009 at 8:44PM
    Options
    Friend of mine has a motorhome that cost £75k, after 13 months(12 month manufacturers warranty) the floor began to fall apart ,so he rang the dealer ,who rang the manufacturer who then said the floor was covered under the insurance backed 2nd and 3rd year warranty , BUT he would have to pay for the transportation costs back to the factory which was £500 +VAT ,when I pointed out the EU reg he told the dealer who than told the Manufacturer who mysteriously said "NO problem we will pick up and return the vehicle FOC .
    Typical isn't it , manufacturers are NOT telling people that they do indeed have a minimum of 2yrs warranty on manufacturing faults.

Its about time the government sorted this out they are quick enough to accept every other bloody EU directive like straightening our bananas.:rolleyes::D

PS it begs the question: if an object has a 2yr warranty against manufacturing faults under EU law why are we paying for the 2nd and 3rd years warranty in the price we pay??? surely we should get a 4yr warranty?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure