Iron railings

Options
The iron railings on the wall at the front of my house are a little scraggy. I last painted them 4 years ago with hammerite paint. I went through the whole rigmerole of rubbing down, sanding, grinding, priming and finally painting. As I have very little spare time it took me about 2 weeks to complete.

I want to paint them again, theres a lot of flaking paint, a lot of rust (as there was last time) and they look terrible. They are around 25 years old.

Can anyone suggest a quick and easy way to get the paint off? Is it worth getting them blasted/dipped and how much would this cost?

What kind of paint should I be using? I notice when you buy railings nowadays they seem to be painted with a plastic like coating, is this readily available?
[SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
[/SIZE]

Comments

• danmurray
    danmurray Posts: 46 Forumite
    Options
    dori2o, getting your railing dipped will be the easiest method of taking the paint off -and depending on the quanity of railings, the cost can vary.

If, however, you do get a few spare hours I'd recommend a wire brush, a duster and red oxide primer... take the wire brush and brush the rust/flakey effected areas of the railings - just so as there's no loose residue. Dust the area down, again, residue. Prime all the areas that have been wire-brushed with red oxide primer and wait for it to dry.

When this is done, use Triflow or Hammerite. I noticed hammerite have a spray gun that's apparently "State-of-the-Art" technology, gosh knows. But either way, this part will be the most time consuming depending of course on how much you've to do....

You really don't have to rub, sand, grind and then prime and topcoat. But the choice is yours! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure