10 month old Yorkie....growling

Hi,
Can anyone please give us some advice?
We have a 10mth old Yorkshire Terrier, this is our 3rd so we are used to the breed.

She is a very placid dog but just lately if we want to move one of our belongings, clothing etc that she is near she will growl and then try to snap at us.

We really have no idea what it is or why she is doing it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• I would say it sounds like she's grown possessive over your belongings, that she sees your things as her things and you moving them is taking them away from her.

I don't have a lot of ideas on solving the problem but I would say to totally ignore the verbal and physical warnings the dog is giving. If you "retaliate" - Say, by yelling at her, tapping her nose, or telling her off, she could see it as you just moving in to fight. If you simply take them and ignore her, it shows that you know they're yours and you're not willing to argue about it.
    :j [STRIKE]Debt Free[/STRIKE] Savings Wannabe! :j
    Current problems: £107 overdrawn in bank, £112 in unpaid DD's
    Savings made: £0 :(
  • a few thoughts - has she been a little spoilt at all? as i am sure you know they have a very active and feisty terrier mind in a little body, and some terriers can want to rule the roost...

alternatively, I know she is only ten month old, but has she had her first season - is there any chance she is having a phantom pregnancy?

does she growl or snap in any other scenario?

does she seem to by physically ok - is she happy to be handled and stroked?

is there any chance you are tking her by surprise when you reach for things and she is reacting to that?
  • ebaybaby
    ebaybaby Posts: 873 Forumite
    Thanks for your answers, FC she is spoilt I admit that, shes not long finished her first season (lst mth).
    She never growls or snaps at any thing/one else. She is the most easy going yorkie weve ever had!
    She loves being stroked handled and is a real lap-dog.
    No we dont take her by surpise either?
    Any advice on how to handle it next time?!
  • ebaybaby
    Just to add, I dont mind ignoring it but I do worry that she will bite us. What then? I cant ignore that.
  • It could well be a phantom pregnancy - is she acting oddly in any other ways - taking things to her bed, or lying down with toys and various items she has claimed, or off her food, or anything?
  • ebaybaby
    Yes she is off her food, but we thought it was with the heat.
    She's acting a bit sorry for herself too!

My first Yorkie used to have phantom pregnancies but she showed it differently, like nesting etc.
    Thanks so much for your advice FC.
  • maybe that is it then... I would keep an eye on her, and perhaps have a chat with the vet too... of course, if it is, speying stops further phantoms, which can get worse, rather than better as the dog gets older.

However, I would be distracting her from this behaviour - perhaps try calling her away from the item you want to pick up, (with a treat in it for her) rather then just trying to reach past her to get it... also, get her mind off brooding by working on her training, playing games with her, getting her out for a walk etc...

If it istn a phantom there is nothing to be lost by working on training and calling her away from things, and it will help her realise that they are not hers to guard!
  • ebaybaby
    Thanks so much, we are getting her spayed in the next month or so, so hopefully that will be solved!
  • foreign_correspondent
    foreign_correspondent Posts: 9,542 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 28 June 2009 at 10:35PM
    Although that may well be the reason, I would keep an open mind and work on training too - it could just be that she is becoming a bolshy adolescent and trying it on a bit, or it may be something else entirely!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure