do you think this is too much money

Options
I'm planning a barbeque for 28 people ( 6 of these are children ) there are a few heavy drinkers !! )
I've worked out a rough idea of prices as its being split between 3 couples
a very rough work out is
£90 per couple for the food and drink combined do you think thats reasonable ??

Comments

• shellnapier
    shellnapier Posts: 505 Forumite
    Options
    its up to your self, but thats a bit large i would price it like that.. i would sya total per head for food, half for kids n total per head for drink
    "Lifes a climb - but the view up in fantastic"
    Gina Shoe Challange - £150 14 days - day1 £3.01
  • Shiny.Side.Up
    Options
    I would say 90 is unreasonable... Sounds very expensive to me! 45 pound each, is that reasonable for a BBQ? If you were asked to pay it, would you?
    :j [STRIKE]Debt Free[/STRIKE] Savings Wannabe! :j
    Current problems: £107 overdrawn in bank, £112 in unpaid DD's
    Savings made: £0 :(
  • sunrise27_2
    sunrise27_2 Posts: 1,349 Forumite
    Options
    I might not have made myself clear
    its a barbeque for 28 people but its a birthday celebration for my mother in laws 65th birthday
    we've got 28 people coming but the total price of the barbeque is being split between my husband and his two brothers so that its just them 3 paying for everything does that make more sense ???
    the drink alone is coming to £153 as like I say theres going to be a lot of drinkers
    ( thats £153 split between hubby and his 2 brothers but being drunk by everyone coming )
  • Shiny.Side.Up
    Options
    Why don't you pick up a few of the bargain BBQ packs places like Iceland are doing, and pick up a few of the deal packs of alcohol (most supermarkets are doing things like 2 for 20 pounds or similar on crates of beers and lagers) and then ask people for a small contribution and to bring a bottle? I still maintain it sounds very expensive!

If you've got 22 adults (And for the sake of ease, I will assume all 22 are drinking, although I would guess some are designated drivers/non drinkers) As an example, ASDA are doing packs of 10 beers (carling and the like) for 2 for 12pound. 4 of these deals would give you 80 beers for 48 pounds, 5 would give you 100 beers for 60 pounds. Thrown in a few boxes of wine, 2 white 2 red, for example for about 20 pound the lot and you've got a party well catered for for 80 pounds - Half the price you've quoted.
    :j [STRIKE]Debt Free[/STRIKE] Savings Wannabe! :j
    Current problems: £107 overdrawn in bank, £112 in unpaid DD's
    Savings made: £0 :(
  • sunrise27_2
    Options
    drinkswise we've worked it out as follows and this is my brother in laws figures
    10 bottles of white wine
    6 bottles of red wine
    48 cans of stella
    a smaller box of john smiths
    a smaller box of carling
    half a bottle of vodka
    some alchopops
    some J20's and then the normal coke , lemonade etc
  • Chrisv
    Chrisv Posts: 5,119 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    So that's a total of £270 for 28 people - approx £10 a head - sounds more than reasonable to me for a special occasion.Hope you get good weather and enjoy your barbie.
  • sunrise27_2
    Options
    thanks chrisvose
    it sounded a lot to me and believe you me I'm very careful when it comes to my money lol but when you put it like that it sounds pretty good especially when it includes all the booze as well
    if we went out for a meal just as a family it would work out more than that per head
    we went out earlier in the year for my mums birthday and it cost us double that per head
  • sethsgran
    sethsgran Posts: 2,855 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    have a great time sunrise and how lovely for MIL that her family are coming together to make the day special for her, hope the sunshines on her day
    Nothing Changes if Nothing Changes
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Penny-Pincher!! Posts: 8,325 Forumite
    Options
    That sounds fine to me.

Have a great time.

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • sunrise27_2