15-16 year old bank account

Options
My son will be 16 in June, he is starting a course at college after leaving school this year and will be on an apprenticeship (hopefully) he needs to open a bank account to have his money paid into. Whats the best one for his age?

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,168 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No 'right' answer to this. I don't think he can have a cheque book until he's 18, but he'll be able to get a card, Solo or Electron, they're available from the age of 11 so he could open the account now. Some people think Solo is better than Electron. My lads are with NatWest, can't remember what the particular account is called but it paid a better rate of interest than the 'normal' current account, which is pants!

So a few phone calls or visits to convenient branches to see what 'perks' are on offer could be a good plan. Some savings accounts offer plastic cards as well, but check that it's a card you can use to pay for things in shops rather than one which only lets you get money out of a hole in the wall. Internet or phone banking can be useful for moving money from the 'bank' to a savings account with a better rate of interest as well!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • ctraub0888
    ctraub0888 Posts: 37 Forumite
    Options
    Im with Natwest with a card plus account (Thats the under 19 account). I have found Natwest to be very good. You get a solo card which can be used pritty much any where including the internet. Apparenatly i can also get a cheque book according to the branch manager. Hope this helps.
  • loopylass
    loopylass Posts: 1,296 Forumite
    Options
    my son is at college his 17 he is in lloyds tsb he has a visa electron card which is good for young people he cant get over drawn and he can use his card in most shops putting his pin in so he dont have to have a lot of cash on him
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport