We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Not so greenfingered...

Options
Almo
Almo Posts: 631 Forumite
Hi all,

I need help. I'm trying to get a veggie patch going in my little garden but am having no success. We have an already established lemon tree (circa 30 years old) - lovely, lots of nice lemons, but that's it. We used to live in an apartment and had herbs on our balcony, a strawberry plant, tomato, pepper and three citrus - lemon, lime and orange, all in pots. We brought the strawberry with us and it seems ok, the pepper died, the tomato died, and the citrus are still in pots as we try and decide where to put them.

We live in Oz, and the books and advice I can find here seem to assume a base knowledge that I don't have :o so I'm asking for your help despite the seasons being 'back to front' as I know and trust MSE.

Back in April (our autumn) we dug out a small bed up against the house, dug through compost and blood and bone, and planted carrots, leeks, spring onions, year round lettuce (all from seed) and aforementioned strawberry plant. The lettuce appeared but has done little since, and is about an inch tall, and the spring onions have appeared and done a little better, but still far off eating. The carrots and leeks show no signs of anything.

I'm assuming I need to start again - what do I need to do to get an area ready for spring planting? We dug up grass for this area, and would like to keep going with this patch which is east facing (I guess the equivalent of your west facing?) if possible. What should I dig through? How can I stop the grass runners from reappearing? What is idiot proof for me to plant?

:o

Comments

• fwor
    fwor Posts: 6,811 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I doubt you'll find any substitute for local knowledge - Australia is a massive country, and even if you say where you live, the conditions won't be anything like those at a corresponding latitude in the UK.

Have you checked with your local library to see if there are any gardening clubs/horticultural societies in your area?
  • angelavdavis
    angelavdavis Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    This video is based in Australia so might be of use to you. It's about permaculture, but includes information on growing vegetables too.
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport