Washing machine fix - how much am I looking at?

Options
Hello,
Got a problem with our washing machine which seems to be getting worse.
It is very very loud on the spin cycles, when it goes fast. We cant even speak in the same room as it is so loud, Im sure the neighbours can hear it! :o
Ive read in other places it could be the bearings but Im not sure since the drum doesnt seem to bounce up and down. Its just really loud and my Husband is saying we really need to get it fixed or buy new which we cant really afford at the minute.
Does anyone know what kind of price it would be to have it fixed if it is the bearings? Its an Indesit WI 121
Thanks in advance!
Weight loss November 09-January 10: [STRIKE]13lbs[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]20lbs[/STRIKE] 27lbs! :j

Comments

• Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Options
    I have a problem with my whirlpool as when it spins it makes a racket and now I have noticed that the spin just acclerates and is really quite scary. I had a chappy come out to see the machine when it was making the noise and he told me that it could cost up to £100 or so to repair.

If the machine is past its best and has broken - try getting one from freecycle.
  • honeyD
    honeyD Posts: 855 Forumite
    Options
    Horace wrote: »
    I have a problem with my whirlpool as when it spins it makes a racket and now I have noticed that the spin just acclerates and is really quite scary. I had a chappy come out to see the machine when it was making the noise and he told me that it could cost up to £100 or so to repair.

If the machine is past its best and has broken - try getting one from freecycle.

Hi, thanks for the reply. The washing machine was given to us by a family friend who hadnt had it long, they were going to throw it away because of the noise so we took it. Its a nice washer, just very loud and doesnt seem to wash well really I guess, darks come out with washing powder still on them. Maybe we should buy new, I dont know. :o
    Ive been using it for about 9 months now a couple of times a week and Im always trying to have it finish before it gets too late since its so loud and I dont want the neighbours to complain about it lol.
    Weight loss November 09-January 10: [STRIKE]13lbs[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]20lbs[/STRIKE] 27lbs! :j
  • basmic
    basmic Posts: 1,043 Forumite
    Options
    Could you record it on your mobile phone, and let us hear the recording?
    Everybody is equal; However some are more equal than others.
  • honeyD
    edited 28 June 2009 at 3:30AM
    Options
    Hopefully this link will work!

th_MVI_2761.jpg

This doesnt sound nearly as bad as it is, its very loud but you get the idea! And sorry about the dog, he just wants to be famous! :D
  • honeyD
    Options
    Anyone? :o
  • diable
    diable Posts: 5,258 Forumite
    Options
    I have listed to the recording but if it is noisy it could be the bearings and that is expensive.
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    Options
    sounds like the bearings. they are fairly cheap at about 10/20 quid. and maybe 50/80 labour charges.
    you can buy a new machine for say 200 quid.
    Get some gorm.
  • amarg
    amarg Posts: 216 Forumite
    Options
    Even the dog thought it was noisy :D

If I were you I would ring your local appliance repair shop if you have one and tell them you suspect the bearing has gone and ask for a free quotation to fix it.

If it is expensive then you should consider buying a new one. You should also consider getting a new one if the existing washer is old as you might find that something else goes on it a few months down the line.
  • honeyD
    Options
    Hi, I called a few places for a quote today. One gave me a number of someone who he said "might be able to do it cheap" but I'll be looking at over £100.:eek:
    Was quoted £120 and a "best I can do" £100. So it looks like its time to get a new machine I guess.
    Wondering if this would be good as we dont have much spare cash http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4780539/Trail/searchtext%3EWASHING+MACHINE.htm
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure