Get phone number for new property?

Options
Hi all, just wondered if its possible to find out a phone number for the property i'm about to move into? I've got the full address, i'd like to check out phone suppliers and broadband and get it all signed and sorted before i move it but they all need to know the phone number before i can get quotes for broadband. thanks

Comments

456789 Posts: 2,305 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    it depends if you are getting a new number or transferring your old number

try asking bt moving home dept.

edit: or the current owner/landlord
  • AliceInGothLand
    Options
    The current tenants already moved out, and its housing association so not sure if they would help, i'm going to be getting a new number and phone account as the phone here is not in my name.
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Give BT a ring and they'll set-up the account and give you your new phone number.
  • AliceInGothLand
    Options
    I'll give them a ring later, don't want to sign up with bt though, had loads of trouble with them before now, just need to know my new number so i can get a post office broadband account like we have here or look into some other company.
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'll give them a ring later, don't want to sign up with bt though, had loads of trouble with them before now, just need to know my new number so i can get a post office broadband account like we have here or look into some other company.
    I think they typically assign a new phone number when someone new moves in.
    Put the postcode in at http://www.samknows.com/broadband/search.php
    Then click the name of the Exchange that comes up. It will list all the broadband providers who provide services in that area.
  • dawnie1972
    dawnie1972 Posts: 2,428 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There is a number that you key in - you plug the phone into the socket and key in a number and a recorded message tells you the phone number - i can't remember what number you dial but if you ring the Post Office customer services for their phone service they will tell you.
    A home is not a home ..... without a dog :heart:
  • Ypaymore
    Ypaymore Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    dawnie1972 wrote: »
    if you ring the Post Office customer services for their phone service they will tell you.

The Post Office?:confused:
  • syko29793
    syko29793 Posts: 574 Forumite
    Options
    the number is 17070 to get the recorded message. it wont always work and getting the number does not mean you can connect with any company.a new number is ussually allocated to new orders for phone service.
  • AliceInGothLand
    Options
    Oh what a nightmare, just wanted the phone and internet working on the day i moved in, tried bt and post office and they won't give me any information or even tell me if theres a phone socket, they just kept saying it might cost me £150 to get connected if there isn't a phone socket subject to review, surely they would know if there is or isn't!, i've had to pay hundreds to get the last three flats i've lived in connected, really can't afford to do that yet again.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure